VOGONS

First post, by mtgmackid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I picked this board up from a recycler and have no idea who made it. I searched vogons but couldn't find any identical ones that people had posted about, any ideas? I appreciate it!

8inTVLd.jpg

AhSyHyP.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks like a late VLB only 80486 mainboard, obviously optimized for minimal board size. This is in line with the mainboard design date printed on the back side: 9445 means 45th week of 1994. The cache chips are 512kBit chips, which were uncommon in the early 486 days, so boards usually used two banks of four 256kBit chips for 256kByte of cache, whereas your board uses a single bank of 512kBit chips, which was cheaper once the 512kBit chips were common.

If you are able to power on the board and make a screenshot of the POST screen, or you can dump the BIOS, we can look for clues pointing to the manufacturer.

Reply 2 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found a documentation about it on UH19 http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5474

Still, it's "unidentified", we need the BIOS to potentially found the manufacturer (and also maybe the real name because the name in UH19 isn't the right name)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 9, by mtgmackid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Unfortunately, it is not POSTing at all. Two pins on the 85C471 were bent (I had tried to fix them and they looked good after), so I'll try and investigate if anything else looks off. I do have a friend with the means to dump the BIOS so I will let him know.

Reply 4 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also check the jumper settings and make sure they match your CPU
Now that you have a documentation it should be easier 😀

Don't forget to hook up a PC speaker and eventually use a POST card. It can help diagnosing what could be wrong with your hardware (and they're cheap)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh well we also have this one http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5551

It could pretty well be that motherboard. A BIOS dump will probably confirm any suspicion 😁

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not that it helps but there is a very tiny REV 4 near the 'made in china' near the KBC. The Unknown A486DX4/SIS III layout is the closest imho....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 9, by mtgmackid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2020-12-06, 20:27:

There looks to be some damage near the CPU socket, towards the SIMM slots. Can you post a detail of that area?

I can't take a picture yet, but that silver splash is solder that was there when I got the board. I'll clean it up when I get home.