VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm moving my Athlon 64 3400+ machine components into a modern case. The motherboard is mATX, so the case is quite roomy. Even the really long (for it's time) Sapphire 3850 AGP card fits without any trouble.

What's throwing me off is that the power supply is bottom mounted in this case. Which direction should the PSU fan be facing? Upwards (into the case) or downwards (out of the case)? Does it make any real difference?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Power supplies can normally only be fitted one way, as the holes are not symmetrical. The fan should be facing upward if it conforms to normal standards.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cases with bottom mounted PSUs like that are meant to have the PSU fan pull in cool air from below the case.

This way, the PSUI stays as cool as possible which also has the added benefit of making it last longer than if it were pulling warm air from outside the case.

To top it off, a newer case like that will have enough airflow through the case to keep everything else a lot cooler than an older style case. No reason whatsoever to have the PSU cool itself with warm air from inside the case.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Always insure the PSU fan blows out of the case, you don't want heat blown at the CPU. Silly.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 6, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-12-05, 23:17:

Power supplies can normally only be fitted one way, as the holes are not symmetrical. The fan should be facing upward if it conforms to normal standards.

Modern cases typically have two sets of mounting holes so you can mount your power supply in either orientation.

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-05, 23:25:

Cases with bottom mounted PSUs like that are meant to have the PSU fan pull in cool air from below the case.
This way, the PSUI stays as cool as possible which also has the added benefit of making it last longer than if it were pulling warm air from outside the case.

100% agree.

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pete8475 wrote on 2020-12-06, 02:14:
Modern cases typically have two sets of mounting holes so you can mount your power supply in either orientation. […]
Show full quote

Modern cases typically have two sets of mounting holes so you can mount your power supply in either orientation.

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-05, 23:25:

100% agree.

Agree that the particular case in the pictures is designed to have the fan aimed at the bottom,
but not all cases with bottom mounted PSU are designed to have the fan pull air from below the case, have one or two that have no vents below the PSU so the fan has to mounted pointing up or toward the front, depending on the PSU design...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, this is what threw me off, as this Rosswill case has two sets. ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IT0TDY6/ ). I've since mounted it with fans facing downwards out of the case.