VOGONS

First post, by bbuchholtz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,

If I could connect/disconnect any pins of the ISA slot, what would be the easiest way to enable or disable the card?

Based on my reading of the ISA bus, it looks to me that the Clock signal is required for all peripherals. Would disconnecting the Clock pin be the simplest way of "disabling" the ISA slot?

Thanks!

-Brian

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most cards don't even use the clock signals. Anyway AEN is what you need to play with, it is going to make the card not respond to most cycles present on the bus. You cannot simply disconnect it though, it needs to be tied high on the card in question (floating pins do not assume a fixed state for the most part and will toggle to the tune of whatever is going on nearby).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup, exactly.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I remember, you need to decode AEN only for I/O cycles (to prevent false decodings during DMA), but AEN decoding is not needed for memory cycles. So disconnecting AEN is fine for disabling cards that only use I/O, but will not work properly on cards with ROM extensions (SCSI cards with BIOS) or shared memory (graphics cards, some high-performance network cards). Furthermore, disabling ALE does not change whether the device drives IRQ or DRQ lines, so it won't solve conflicts on these lines. Remember that IRQ lines should be driven by a totem-pole drive if the IRQ is enabled, and disconnecting AEN does not disable the totem-pole driver if it had been enabled while AEN was connected. A typical example for a card that has a totem-pole driver that can be enabled/disabled under software control is the standard IBM serial port.