VOGONS

Reply 60 of 113, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The speed sensitivity of DOS games is actually not a huge issue beyond the PC AT era. Even if you get 8088 or 286 speeds out of your processor, you can still pretty easily run into a lot of weird issues with memory management and odd graphics modes. I have a real 8088 system with a rather compatible ISA VGA card and my hit/miss rate with games before 1986 is about 60%.

After 1986 or so things get a bit easier on both the speed and the graphics front. If your CPU can only run really fast it won't limit your compatibility nearly as much as sound will.

HDMI scaler/converters definitely do exist. Doing it properly is very, very expensive but doing it like shit is pretty cheap. There are already projects for retro consoles like the retro tink and the OSSC - 100$ and 200$ respectively. There are also PC focused products like the ones monotech sell that specialize in legacy graphics modes like CGA - also pretty expensive. A more modernish graphics card with standard VGA output would be the easiest as low latency VGA - HDMI dongles/converters are pretty easy to find for around 50$ or less, although I am not sure how they handle scaling of DOS resolutions like 320x200. Maybe you can find an open source schematic and write your own firmware to get around those problems.

The biggest challenge will definitely be sound. Sound blaster compatible clone cards that sound good, are cheap, and are highly compatible are rare. There are cards like the ESS SOLO-1 which use clone chips, the PCI bus, and have a pretty high degree of compatibility (and apparently reproduction quality) with TSR. There aren't enough of them to mass produce, but recreating that kind of experience makes the most sense for cost. An ISA platform is likely going to be way too expensive. Even sourcing a PCI platform for low cost is difficult these days. I would say an old stock of first and second generation intel atom SOCs would be the most likely. It is not out the question that you could find boards with a single PCI slot for around 40$ a piece and perhaps the integrated graphics will work well enough with legacy DOS. That would give you some margin to play with, and I am sure you would like to recoup your costs or maybe even get paid for your work.

Reply 61 of 113, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
johnnycontrario wrote on 2020-12-15, 06:44:

My idea is to create a standard similar to PC104, but optimize it to reduce costs as much as possible by using non-standard parts (like, say using cheap 2.54mm headers and sockets instead of ISA edge connectors), and focusing on modern I/O. The costs will never compete with Raspberry Pi, but my idea is to build the initial console from modules that adhere to this new standard, opening the door for future modules to meet a wider variety of needs. Maybe create a standard SBC based on a Vortex86 SOC and Vortex86VGA with HDMI output, USB input, removable flash storage, and then a couple of daughter boards (or a backplane made from cheap components with expansion boards) with accessories like sound and ethernet, all with modern I/O options. Keeping it standard could open the door for other people to create compatible hardware. For those who want to connect existing ISA cards, an adapter could be created.

There are several "Computer on Module" standards more recent than PC104 that are widespread in the embedded and industrial world. Both ETX and COM Express come to mind. These standards utilize modern low-profile board-to-board connectors instead of edge connectors, just like you suggest.

It's not out of the question that this project could use one of them if I'm only making a few units. They reduce risk and engineering effort because the hard PCB layout work (between CPU, chipset, and RAM) is on the module, and that's worth a lot. That said, no product sold in any volume to consumers uses one, because these embedded computer modules are expensive.

Last edited by LightStruk on 2020-12-15, 20:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 62 of 113, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-12-15, 19:43:

HDMI scaler/converters definitely do exist. Doing it properly is very, very expensive but doing it like shit is pretty cheap. There are already projects for retro consoles like the retro tink and the OSSC - 100$ and 200$ respectively. There are also PC focused products like the ones monotech sell that specialize in legacy graphics modes like CGA - also pretty expensive. A more modernish graphics card with standard VGA output would be the easiest as low latency VGA - HDMI dongles/converters are pretty easy to find for around 50$ or less, although I am not sure how they handle scaling of DOS resolutions like 320x200. Maybe you can find an open source schematic and write your own firmware to get around those problems.

Two things I'm trying to achieve - first is an all digital video and audio path (no VGA or analog audio digitization), and second is tear-free, flicker-free 70 Hz on a modern HDMI display. Resolution scaling is a solved problem and not what I worry about at all. 70 Hz on a TV is only possible with a 120 Hz or greater panel that also supports either custom video modes or VRR, and VRR is part of HDMI 2.1 (very recent), which limits my choices in HDMI chips.

If the video chip is recent enough, then it usually has native support for DVI signaling, which is secretly all HDMI uses for video. If it's not a recent video chip, then I need to choose one that was targeted towards laptops and has a digital parallel pixel bus output intended for an LCD. The decision here is tied up with which CPU I use (some of my choices come with integrated video) and especially whether all of the important VGA, SVGA, and VESA modes work as expected, since anything made after 2002 was never expected to run DOS.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-12-15, 19:43:

The biggest challenge will definitely be sound. Sound blaster compatible clone cards that sound good, are cheap, and are highly compatible are rare.

It's really not a big deal. The YMF744 and the CMI8330 both meet my requirements 100% (genuine OPL3, digital S/PDIF output, SB Pro or better compatibility), and both chips are available from digipart and octopart in very large numbers. They may be NOS or used, not sure, but there are enough of them that every DOS gaming enthusiast on the planet could buy one of these hypothetical consoles and I still wouldn't run out of supply.

Reply 63 of 113, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

70hz HDMI with VRR is definitely uncharted territory for retro gaming. HDMI is an open spec so you could implement your own digital scaler/converter with support for variable refresh rate, but you might very well be the first to do it. The only devices I know of that support the feature are made by Nvidia and AMD.

Reply 64 of 113, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-12-15, 20:32:

70hz HDMI with VRR is definitely uncharted territory for retro gaming. HDMI is an open spec so you could implement your own digital scaler/converter with support for variable refresh rate, but you might very well be the first to do it. The only devices I know of that support the feature are made by Nvidia and AMD.

What's frustrating is that I don't need "variable" refresh rate at all; I just need the TV to display 70 tear-free frames a second. I don't need anything more sophisticated than HDMI 1.0 otherwise! I will need to do more research to find out how, exactly, HDMI 2.1's VRR is implemented. If TVs and video cards were able to add support for VRR in driver and firmware updates even though they shipped long before HDMI 2.1, it can't be very complicated.

Reply 65 of 113, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LightStruk wrote on 2020-12-15, 19:49:
johnnycontrario wrote on 2020-12-15, 06:44:

My idea is to create a standard similar to PC104, but optimize it to reduce costs as much as possible by using non-standard parts (like, say using cheap 2.54mm headers and sockets instead of ISA edge connectors), and focusing on modern I/O. The costs will never compete with Raspberry Pi, but my idea is to build the initial console from modules that adhere to this new standard, opening the door for future modules to meet a wider variety of needs. Maybe create a standard SBC based on a Vortex86 SOC and Vortex86VGA with HDMI output, USB input, removable flash storage, and then a couple of daughter boards (or a backplane made from cheap components with expansion boards) with accessories like sound and ethernet, all with modern I/O options. Keeping it standard could open the door for other people to create compatible hardware. For those who want to connect existing ISA cards, an adapter could be created.

There are several "Computer on Module" standards more recent than PC104 that are widespread in the embedded and industrial world. Both ETX and COM Express come to mind. These standards utilize modern low-profile board-to-board connectors instead of edge connectors, just like you suggest.

It's not out of the question that this project could use one of them if I'm only making a few units. They reduce risk and engineering effort because the hard PCB layout work (between CPU, chipset, and RAM) is on the module, and that's worth a lot. That said, no product sold in any volume to consumers uses one, because these embedded computer modules are expensive.

I didn't know about those other form factors, but I do know that any industrial computer stuff is super expensive compared to consumer equivalents. Do you know what about these platforms is so expensive? The reason I ask is that I wonder if it has to do with the target consumer. Maybe the durability is over-engineered for what we would need in retro-computing? Would it be possible to homebrew a board that conforms to one of these form factors, but be made cheaper? I'm just wondering if it would be possible to replicate something similar to the other maker-class SBCs like the Raspberry. If so, then it could facilitate all kinds of cool projects.

Reply 66 of 113, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
johnnycontrario wrote on 2020-12-15, 20:38:

I didn't know about those other form factors, but I do know that any industrial computer stuff is super expensive compared to consumer equivalents. Do you know what about these platforms is so expensive? The reason I ask is that I wonder if it has to do with the target consumer. Maybe the durability is over-engineered for what we would need in retro-computing? Would it be possible to homebrew a board that conforms to one of these form factors, but be made cheaper? I'm just wondering if it would be possible to replicate something similar to the other maker-class SBCs like the Raspberry. If so, then it could facilitate all kinds of cool projects.

If I had to guess, the cost is mostly because of low production volume, followed by engineering for wide temperature and vibration ranges. Maker-class SBCs have production volumes in the 100s of thousands to millions.
There's certainly value in using existing standards. ETX supports all of the late 80s-late 90s legacy interfaces, including PCI, ISA, IDE, floppy, VGA, COM ports, LPT port, PS/2 ports, and USB. The production volumes would be very low, however, to the point that it makes more sense to either do a true single-board-computer without expansion, or just make something like the NuXT. Or, maybe, something like the console I'm contemplating here.

Reply 67 of 113, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe something like the Pc Classic design is the way to go but with a Pcem build on it that detects the game and loads the best configuration of hardware from a list of preset builds.

The main issue would probably be any liscensing stuff but that could be hashed out. Instead of custom hardware stuff just use a low end mini pc off the shelf. So yeah basically what user cyberdyne said a few pages before.

Reply 68 of 113, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LightStruk wrote on 2020-12-15, 20:38:

What's frustrating is that I don't need "variable" refresh rate at all; I just need the TV to display 70 tear-free frames a second. I don't need anything more sophisticated than HDMI 1.0 otherwise! I will need to do more research to find out how, exactly, HDMI 2.1's VRR is implemented. If TVs and video cards were able to add support for VRR in driver and firmware updates even though they shipped long before HDMI 2.1, it can't be very complicated.

I think the onus should be on the displays here, and the people buying them, not you. I'm no expert on the tech but it feels crazy to me that VRR flat panels took so long to enter the market. But they exist now, and going forward people can choose them when they next upgrade.

Reply 69 of 113, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One thing I haven't seen though it's possible I skipped over it, is what level of performance level are you shooting for? You say outside of the XT speed sensitivity isn't a major issue, but there are games that require slow or fast 386 speeds, 486 at 33Mhz, as well as 66Mhz for a better experience.

If you haven't used it I really recommend you check out ao486 on a MiSTer FPGA, if for nothing else to try out your console setup ideas. It's a $150 dev board, and the ao486 core doesn't require the optional SDRAM expansion that most console cores require. It can run around 486 33Mhz, but it can do something things faster. It has HDMI output along with a headphone jack and optical audio out with the optional IO board.

It uses FPGA-based hardware emulation to run the core, and it has an ET4000 for video, SB16 that fully supports SB Pro and 2.0. OPL 2&3, CMS, and MPU401 that can interface with real MIDI synths. It runs off HDD images that can be on an internal SD card, external USB drive, or on a network share. The only major feature that's missing is CD Redbook audio support.

There's a working DOS front-end that you could use in your project. There's also a utility that allows low-level system configuration to allow on the fly disabling of L1 or L2 cache as well as setting the clock speed of the CPU.

Supported input is any USB device, if you connect a Bluetooth dongle you can use wireless controllers with it.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer

Reply 70 of 113, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2020-12-15, 23:34:
One thing I haven't seen though it's possible I skipped over it, is what level of performance level are you shooting for? You sa […]
Show full quote

One thing I haven't seen though it's possible I skipped over it, is what level of performance level are you shooting for? You say outside of the XT speed sensitivity isn't a major issue, but there are games that require slow or fast 386 speeds, 486 at 33Mhz, as well as 66Mhz for a better experience.

If you haven't used it I really recommend you check out ao486 on a MiSTer FPGA, if for nothing else to try out your console setup ideas. It's a $150 dev board, and the ao486 core doesn't require the optional SDRAM expansion that most console cores require. It can run around 486 33Mhz, but it can do something things faster. It has HDMI output along with a headphone jack and optical audio out with the optional IO board.

It uses FPGA-based hardware emulation to run the core, and it has an ET4000 for video, SB16 that fully supports SB Pro and 2.0. OPL 2&3, CMS, and MPU401 that can interface with real MIDI synths. It runs off HDD images that can be on an internal SD card, external USB drive, or on a network share. The only major feature that's missing is CD Redbook audio support.

There's a working DOS front-end that you could use in your project. There's also a utility that allows low-level system configuration to allow on the fly disabling of L1 or L2 cache as well as setting the clock speed of the CPU.

Supported input is any USB device, if you connect a Bluetooth dongle you can use wireless controllers with it.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer

Speed sensitive dos games after the XT era definitely exist, it is just gets less and less common. Some of those games, like the seirra and lucas arts adventure titles, can be patched too.

Reply 71 of 113, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LightStruk wrote on 2020-12-15, 20:38:

That is a project unto itself. If you ever make just the scaler and converter I would buy that. Otherwise you probably have to do 60hz with a framebuffer.

Reply 72 of 113, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For anyone rooting for the Vortex86 EX2 option, I'm made contact with DMP and we're sending emails back and forth. One interesting new piece of information - the Master core of the EX2 can be configured to speak PCI or ISA, but not both at the same time. It's also unclear whether I could get PC/PCI signals (REQ, GNT, and SERIRQ) from the "Crossbar." It could mean that using the EX2 would force using an ISA sound chip like the CMI8330 or the YMF71x and a PCI-Express graphics chip, since PCI wouldn't be available! At that point, it's an open question whether the available PCI-E chips are even able to do the various VGA / SVGA / VBE modes required for this project - they would need to be tested.

Reply 73 of 113, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about using a PCI-e <-> PCI bridge chip like those cheap-ish adapters use?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 74 of 113, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-18, 19:43:

What about using a PCI-e <-> PCI bridge chip like those cheap-ish adapters use?

Maybe. If I'm using a bridge chip for PCI video instead of PCI audio, I wouldn't need PC/PCI signals or DDMA, which those bridge chips obviously wouldn't provide. There are so, so many PCI video chips to choose from in the used / recycled chip market...

Reply 75 of 113, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LightStruk wrote on 2020-12-18, 16:29:

For anyone rooting for the Vortex86 EX2 option, I'm made contact with DMP and we're sending emails back and forth. One interesting new piece of information - the Master core of the EX2 can be configured to speak PCI or ISA, but not both at the same time. It's also unclear whether I could get PC/PCI signals (REQ, GNT, and SERIRQ) from the "Crossbar." It could mean that using the EX2 would force using an ISA sound chip like the CMI8330 or the YMF71x and a PCI-Express graphics chip, since PCI wouldn't be available! At that point, it's an open question whether the available PCI-E chips are even able to do the various VGA / SVGA / VBE modes required for this project - they would need to be tested.

Wouldn't it be easier to use an Atom SoC (Diamondville/Pineview) setup, then? The CPU cores can do EIST (enchanced speedstep) for more precise throttles, the Intel GMA950/3150 should be okay for DOS retrogaming (need more actual user experience write-ups and benchmarks here, though. I've heard "opinions" that are either overwhelming positive or negative but nothing backed by actual writeups and benchmarks), the ICH7m /Tiger Point PCH should do PCIe, PCI (YMF7x4 will be fine here), and LPC (which can probably do ISA with a suitable bridge chip) . It's also not that difficult to get your hands on an old-school Atom board inexpensively to prototype it out.

Reply 76 of 113, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-12-19, 06:40:

Wouldn't it be easier to use an Atom SoC (Diamondville/Pineview) setup, then? The CPU cores can do EIST (enchanced speedstep) for more precise throttles, the Intel GMA950/3150 should be okay for DOS retrogaming (need more actual user experience write-ups and benchmarks here, though. I've heard "opinions" that are either overwhelming positive or negative but nothing backed by actual writeups and benchmarks), the ICH7m /Tiger Point PCH should do PCIe, PCI (YMF7x4 will be fine here), and LPC (which can probably do ISA with a suitable bridge chip) . It's also not that difficult to get your hands on an old-school Atom board inexpensively to prototype it out.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a seller on eBay that is selling some Atom D525 based development boards that have PCI and ISA. I looked stuff up before ordering one and found that there was an SBC made with the same SoC that said it supported ISA DMA.

I just received my board yesterday but have not had a chance to play with it though I did take a look at it and saw that it has an ITE8888 PCI-ISA bridge chip so my hopes are high that it has ISA DMA support.

Thing is, these Atom chips are no longer in production which is why the Vortex86 stuff is more desirable for a new build.

Edit. The D series Pineview do not support Enhanced Speedstep according to Intel.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 77 of 113, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How ironic, I once considered the D525 for a passively cooled Win XP machine instead of a retro platform.
It's understandable yet scary how something is considered retro/vintage these days.
Whenever I see Windows 3.11 or DOS running on something more recent than a Pentium III,
I get innerly (internally?) confused.
It's no offense, though. I love such experimenting.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 78 of 113, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-19, 07:29:
As I mentioned earlier, there is a seller on eBay that is selling some Atom D525 based development boards that have PCI and ISA. […]
Show full quote
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-12-19, 06:40:

As I mentioned earlier, there is a seller on eBay that is selling some Atom D525 based development boards that have PCI and ISA. I looked stuff up before ordering one and found that there was an SBC made with the same SoC that said it supported ISA DMA.

I just received my board yesterday but have not had a chance to play with it though I did take a look at it and saw that it has an ITE8888 PCI-ISA bridge chip so my hopes are high that it has ISA DMA support.

Thing is, these Atom chips are no longer in production which is why the Vortex86 stuff is more desirable for a new build.

Edit. The D series Pineview do not support Enhanced Speedstep according to Intel.

Yeah well, the D-series Diamondville/Pineviews might not do EIST, but the N-series does, and as far as I can tell, the N450s and the D510/520s are often sold by the same vendors at the same time, and there are excess net-tops, netbooks, mini-1U servers and industrial boards out there with either CPU just begging for takers.

As for the not-in-production angle, I can also say the same thing about all the YMF/OPL3 chips out there - they have long been out of production, superseded by AC97 and then HDA, and has been sitting in warehouses just looking for takers. The Atoms are at least 6-10 years younger, everyone and their mom probably has one in the attic ready for experimentation - in some cases all they need is a PCI slot, or something that can tap the LPC bus for an LPC-to-ISA setup. The real headache here is that there is no such thing as plug-n- play LPC - SMBIOS tables are supposed to know about every LPC device connected to the machine, and using an LPC-to-ISA bridge chip and tossing a bog standard ISA device onto it would require the BIOS to accept the info for inclusion.

As for the Vortex86 stuff, it might or might not work. It really depends on what you potentially consider to be essential in those projects. In my mind, good VGA support first, HDMI support next, deal with the audio, and then followed by input stuff. Most modern thin clients with HDMI output (like an HP t520) can potentially be shoehorned into being DOS PCs. They'll need some attention with video compatibility, CPU throttling support, something that can allow them to deal with old school/legacy audio support (no idea if they have PCI or require something LPC/ISA), and they’ll need legacy keyboard/mouse support enabled to support modern wireless input methods.

I would say that the intricacies of EX2 master/slave setup isn't that important for now - it's the nuts and bolts of getting DOS games to work well on the platform that should get some attention - the slave side of the EX2 is really just an EX. The "normal" EX is out for the past 5 years, readily available on the 86Duino, and there are ample evidence that the Vortex86 VGA card (the one that runs off the PCIe bus using a bridge chip) sold by D&MP and attached to the 86Duino One works just fine for VGA and EGA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyxTVKtKek

There are also videos of it running Q2Dos and Doom just fine - Q2Dos even works with the HDA onboard sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTknwah3xy8

The Vortex86 VGA likely use the old SiS 550 2D core, which D&MP inherited when they bought the original Rise mp6 design from SiS in 2001 - it’s basically the 2D display engine from the SiS Mirage series. It’s not that hard to ask the vendor for the XP driver for the Vortex86 VGA - a single look at the inf file will tell you all you need to know (PCI ID for instance). You can probably find an old thin client with the SiS 550 GPU onboard cheaply for compatibility testing (Gona's charts doesn't have that one), and some with PCI onboard works just fine with soundcards - my 15 dollar Teco TR3230F with the SiS550 works fine with a YMF724, and I am pretty sure there is someone out there selling Neoware CA5s.

The EX and the EX2 both uses some type of I/O virtualization with a crossbar selection setup, and the EX has an abbreviated ISA (xISA) that allow IRQs and DMA channels, and someone in their forum even speculated as to using a combination of the 86Duino One, a Vortex86 VGA and xISA to make an old DOS gaming appliance roughly 5 years ago. You don’t really need to shoehorn a PCI video card in there.

http://www.86duino.com/?page_id=85/project-gu … ter-with-ms-dos

That approach is likely workable as long as someone puts the time and effort into it. A compatible breakout board with an old YMF719 or ES1869 for the 86duino would be good. Use a Vortex86 VGA chip with a VGA to HDMI / LVDS to HDMI adapter (with audio passed in from a converter board), and it'll probably do it. Supporting modern network stacks and bluetooth for handling gamepad or keyboard/mouse input, that might be a pain - I guess that's where the master/slave nature of the EX2 can help. The master can run Linux and deal with the housekeeping (bluetooth + Wifi on USB2?), and then pass keystrokes and mouse x/y locations to the slave running on DOS. Whether it works well enough for every requirement you might have or not, that's the other question. I don't think there are throttling methods supporting the Rise MP6 or its Vortex86 derivatives, but that’s for dealing with edge cases.

If I am engineering something like this, each DOS game will have its own small DOS-only running environment - its own game files (probably a subfolder in the game repo sitting on an SD card), its own save states, and its own set of virtual peripherals and environments (i.e. CPU speed, which peripherals are attached, what video modes are used, the setup as derived from config.sys/autoexec.bat, what I term to be the "secret sauce"), all well defined. The Linux instance running on the master core will handle actual peripherals, setup the DOS environment on the slave core, launch DOS with the parameters set, perform I/O operations for the slave, and then send the VGA output from the slave to the HDMI port. Provided that you have a well packaged repository of "secret sauce" to make each and every game work as well as you can on the slave, it can potentially be a very neat way of doing a DOS game console. Every game pre-packaged, with good config.sys/autoexec.bat settings, input mapped correctly, no need for multi-config menus, and the settings from one game not interfering with another.

Of course, my concern about using Vortex86 is that it's not really well supported outside of the firms owned by D&MP (ICop and etc), and if you want a full featured eval board you are still talking to the same people...not much opportunity to have a 3rd party fight for your business and get the pricing down en-masse. But as of now, not that important.

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2021-01-07, 05:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 79 of 113, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-19, 07:29:
As I mentioned earlier, there is a seller on eBay that is selling some Atom D525 based development boards that have PCI and ISA. […]
Show full quote

Definitely please let me know if ISA soundcards work on that board. The D525 normally was paired with an ICH9 IIRC, which does not support DDMA or ISA-style DMA on the LPC bus. If the IT8888 handles all ISA DMA internally, I guess it could still work?

I'm not too worried about chips being in production; it's more important that there's sufficient supply of NOS or used chips for a limited production run if it ever came to that. I'm already planning on NOS/used sound chips, so why not slightly old SoCs like an Intel Atom D525 or AMD G-Series, moderately old like the AMD Geode LX, or stupidly old like the AMD Elan SC520?
The other way to look at it: if I want only chips still in production, then it's impossible to avoid using a microcontroller or FPGA for sound, since no currently-produced ASIC incorporates SB compatibility or an OPL3.

If I settle on a Vortex86 EX2 or on an Atom or something different, it will be because it is the best choice for this project's bizarre balancing act: vintage OS on real hardware, vintage hardware sound, but modern networking, modern gamepad input, modern HDMI output.