VOGONS

First post, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's something that I have done rather than the card. Inside of Windows 98, the card works fine, albeit with some strange, almost interference like noise on digital audio sound. The MPU-401 works properly and sounds nice for the time, and Digital sound works inside of Windows programs. However, things don't work in DOS it seems. Trying DOS within Windows yields the same result. I am running the PNP software in Autoexec.bat and in Dosstart.bat to activate the PnP card, and it does show the configuration information for the card, like Address: 220, Irq: 5, DMA1: 1, DMA2: 3, WSS: 536. But there is nothing else in the folder for the Waverider Platinum card that allows me to do more. I tried to use the Set Blaster Command to mimic the PNP configured settings, but I get no results. I am positive it's something that I haven't configured, but I have never used this card before and cannot seem to locate and fix the issue. There is no diagnose program for DOS either. And reading the readme file says just run the PNP program in Autoexec.bat and in Dosstart.bat and everything should work, which is not the case in my situation. The system specifications for the machine I am working with are as follows

Pentium 166-S
Tyan Dual Socket Socket 7 board that appears to be based on the 430 chipset? AT Type
64MB of RAM
8GB Compact Flash drive
S3 Virge/DX 4MB graphics card PCI
and the Aztech Waverider Platinum 3D PnP ISA

If I am missing any information please let me know and I will do my best to supply it.

Regards,

Nathan

Reply 1 of 3, by detalite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's well known issue of this card under DOS. There is some kind of PnP detection mechanism implemented in Aztech drivers that don't work, or it's just very picky about PnP device ID.
For DOS the simplest solution is UNISOUND.

Reply 2 of 3, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. I know very little about this card. I thought it would be a nice card for my friend since it supports full OPL3 in DOS and in Windows sounds like it has an Okay enough Midi Synth Chip. I will try the unisound program and see if that helps.

Reply 3 of 3, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strange. It did not work. There is no sound in DOS regardless of if I am using Unisound or the default AZTPNP executable. I put the Set Blaster variable and confirmed that it matched the config file for the card. But nothing. In Windows running DOS inside windows I can get Sound blaster sound in Doom. And that's it. Quake locks up entirely. I am wondering if this card is failing?