VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello ,

I have a dead notebook here. Really annoying because I just bought it. It's a ThinkPad a22p. Yesterday everything was fine. But today it won't start. There is something to hear ... Sounds like the HDD tries to spin up all the time and the HDD LED is on permanently. Now I wanted to exchange the HDD but after I opened the lid I don't know how to get it out...

Well meanwhile I got this HDD out... Thw cooler spins up shortly.. but then... Silence. Screen stays black. I thought it should come up with some warning that there is no storage installed. But nothing... I also tried the RAM, but no change...

Please can someone help me?

Could it be a defective ac adapter?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To remove the hard drive you remove the coin screw on the bottom and then pull the hard drive caddy out to the side. No need to open the laptop.
It sounds like maybe you figured that out but it's unclear.

Try hooking it up to an external monitor. You might need to toggle a keyboard combination to get it to display on the monitor, and I don't remember what that key combo is. Fn+F5? or something like that. If I remember correctly, the F-key you want will have a blue icon showing a rectangle (supposed to look like a monitor). The toggle has 3 states - built-in LCD, external monitor, and both.

Hopefully you're using a real first-party IBM power adapter and not a generic knockoff - those can cause problems and could certainly keep it from booting. If you're not sure, post a photo or 2 of it, including the label.
If it's not a real IBM adapter then replace it - and be careful when shopping because last I was aware, 95% of the Thinkpad power bricks on eBay were knockoffs. If it was sold as new, it's a knockoff for sure.

If it is legit, then you can do a basic test with a multimeter to check what voltage is coming out of the barrel connector. Put positive inside the barrel and negative on the outside (don't arc them). I don't remember what the correct voltage is but it's marked on the brick. It's a regulated power supply so if it's not at the correct voltage then it's bad.
This isn't as good as testing with a load but it's better than nothing.
Testing with a load would be more involved, to do that you'd probably need to crack open the power brick and measure at the output of the brick while it's powering the laptop.

Reply 3 of 4, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You won't believe it.. just for fun I wanted to test the notebook again... I put it on another desk, so I have to rearrange the cable of the ac adapter... And: it boots!

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 4 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote on 2020-12-13, 09:42:

Can a bad (for instance chinese) ac adapter cause serious hardware damage?...

https://ibb.co/0tKZx3R

I believe that it could. Cheaply built PSUs can subject the machine to excessive ripple voltage which can damage ICs.
I had a knockoff PSU for a similar Thinkpad several years ago and for the few days I used it there were stability problems.