First post, by draetheus
Greetings vogons! I'm ready to attempt my first retro build to relive my prime Win 9X gaming years as a kid. But unlike the thift store hardware I ran at the time, I'd like to go overkill and run games at glorious 1600 x 1200 resolution (where possible). I've done a bit of research but I'd like opinions from people who've actually built this stuff recently. Here are the things I'm looking for:
- Excellent Win 9X compatibility (1996 - 2002). The main reason I'm building the system.
- Good mid DOS compatibility (1990 - 1996).
- Don't care about early DOS compatibility.
- Don't care about period correctness.
- Want to run games as high res as possible.
- Want to avoid rare/expensive components.
- Ability to run XP for late gen games that respond well to updated drivers. A nice bonus but not mandatory.
- Ability to run emulators. Another nice bonus but not mandatory.