VOGONS

First post, by injurer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm new here. Recently I decided to remove the dust from some old hardware and make a retro build.

I have an 586TX motherboard with an S3 Tri64, and a Cyrix CPU. I cleaned everything, repasted the CPU and plugged it to an old PSU. Now I hooked this test bench to a relatively new 1440x900 LCD monitor.
After starting it, for a brief moment I can see the S3 VGA BIOS message, and a second after the monitors turns off telling the the signal is out of range.

Now I'm unsure if it's due to the monitor incompatible with the resolution the S3 card is trying to push, or the problem is related to something else.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated how to diagnose the issue.

P.S. Any chance I can plug a USB keyboard? I don't have an old DIN-type one. Are there any adaptors available?

Reply 1 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old hardware is for old hardware. I'd recommend a CRT monitor.

In this case I think the S3 is trying higher frequencies. What make/model/brand is the VGA card? Does it have any jumpers?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is your modern monitor fully VGA compatible? Does it work with other VGA cards?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 6, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
injurer wrote on 2020-12-14, 13:55:

a second after the monitors turns off telling the the signal is out of range.

On my old systems I have seen this for a few GPUs when Windows 9X starts, rarely for Windows NT/XP and never while the BIOS is posting. I can't remember which GPUs I was using as I have quite a lot and when it happens simply use a different one. I have not had any CRTs since around 2001 and as yet have never had any real issues with using an LCD display.

I usually use my Dell 2007FP or Dell 2407WFP which support most resolutions from 640 x 480 up to their maximum, what does your monitor support? Do you have any other monitors you could try?

file.php?id=98187

Attachments

• Menu-Machine-Graphics.png
    Filename
    Menu-Machine-Graphics.png
    File size
    69.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV Menu->Machine->Graphics screen
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 6, by injurer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the replies. No, I don't have a CRT and honestly I dont wanna get one. I will try another monitor. The one that I am using is from quite an unknown brand Emperex LM-1905, and no, no any jumpers on it. I will update the post once I find something.