VOGONS

EPOX K7XA (slotA) hangs on POST

Topic actions

First post, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I've bought this neat board. EPOX K7XA slot A motherboard. looks brand new, dont see any bulging capacitors or anything.

The thinh is: i'm trying to boot up and always hangs after memory test.

I've tried: several different ram sticks in different slots on the boards; pull ut and insert again the cpu; pull out and insert again the bios chip; diferrent graphic cards: different power supply.
NO MATTER WHAT I DO, IT ALWAYS HANGS DURING POST...

The keyboard works because i've tried the keyboard power on jumper and it starts the computer....

Can i have a corrupted bios ? i really whant to put this slotA system working

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    690.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 2 of 26, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cr2032 is new.. it dont get to the fase of searxhing for drives. Just stops always after memory test. Witch i beliave says test ok.

Dont let me enter BIOS, dont let me try to flash the BIOS. Dammit...

Another thing. If i put pc133 SDRAM and out the jumper on 133 mode, it just dont do nothing... Not even starts.. works ONLY on 100mhz mode.... Another sign something is bad

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 3 of 26, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The sequence is: shows graphic card, then cpu info, then nem count and stops... No error, nothing. Just stops there

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 4 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried with the motherboard not mounted in the case?

I wonder if somebody flashed the wrong BIOS to the motherboard or maybe a BIOS update didn't complete correctly.

A POST test card might help here as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 26, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: just remember i have a post card. used it on the pci bus

gives me the error code 26... Something related with the memory.. right.. but i've tried like 9 or 10 sticks of sdram.. no all can be bad.. cool this be the cache of the cpu ?

Attachments

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 7 of 26, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nuno14272 wrote on 2020-12-15, 12:29:

Another thing. If i put pc133 SDRAM and out the jumper on 133 mode, it just dont do nothing... Not even starts.. works ONLY on 100mhz mode.... Another sign something is bad

Setting it to 133 probably changes the FSB to 133MHz which overclocks the CPU, so keep it at 100.
Using PC133 capable RAM is a good idea though because it will be more capable of aggressive timings at PC100. It's unlikely, but possible that the BIOS has been modified and defaults to aggressive timings.

dont see any bulging capacitors or anything

Caps are always a suspect on Epox boards of this period. What brand are they? If you put your finger on them, do they still feel flat? Any variation in "bumpiness" from one cap to another?

If you have a multimeter, check what voltages you have while it's trying to boot. Put the negative (black) probe on the case of the PSU, or stick it into a black wire on one of the drive power connectors, or some other safe and easy ground point. Put red on whatever you're measuring.
Easiest voltages to check are +5V and +12V which are on the hard drive power connectors. 3.3V is accessible by backprobing an orange wire at the ATX motherboard connector. CPU Vcore should be at the metal tab on the top of 2 of the 4 heatsinked MOSFETs you see near the CPU. The tab on the other 2 will be the +5V supply that's powering the VRM. Might as well also probe the battery voltage.

Reply 9 of 26, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried different memory combinations too? 2 x 64 etc? Maybe a problem with the memory socket? And pressing F1 (or whatever it is, screen cuts off the key in your post) doesn't let you enter BIOS? You should press it a few times right after boot to make sure the startup sequence doesn't go too far.

Reply 10 of 26, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cproell wrote on 2020-12-16, 13:44:

I had such an error years ago. Drove me crazy. The solution was to remove the battery AND to clear the CMOS. Did you try this?

tryed a million times..

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 11 of 26, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote on 2020-12-16, 15:50:

Have you tried different memory combinations too? 2 x 64 etc? Maybe a problem with the memory socket? And pressing F1 (or whatever it is, screen cuts off the key in your post) doesn't let you enter BIOS? You should press it a few times right after boot to make sure the startup sequence doesn't go too far.

tryed like 10 modules, in simm1, simm2, simm3... the computer doesnt respond to any key after this moment.. cant enter bios, nothing.. but like i said, keybord works because i can start computer from keyboard. so everything seens fine..

NOW, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS 26 ERROR ABOUT ?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 12 of 26, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying once more: What you describe sounds a lot like a corrupt BIOS.
Do you have any way of flashing the EEPROM outside of the board?
You have multiple PCs in your signature. Why not use one of those to perform a hot flash?

Reply 13 of 26, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My one and only encounter with the 7KXA was kind of bitter. Back in the day I was building a system for someone, among the stuff I got this board and a 650MHz Athlon and after building the rig it pretty much behaved like your board, hanging at various stages during POST. At the time I didn't have a bunch of parts to swap out, and since most of the stuff was bought from the same shop I brought the complete system there and asked them to see what's wrong. Dead motherboard, they said, and since the Slot A was on its way out they swapped the motherboard and cpu for a spanking new Socket A + Duron combo.

More recently I've seen a similar board on sale on a local classifieds site, I think it was advertised for more than 1 year. Southbridge chip was burned (exploded) but asking price was as if the board was in perfect order so I passed 😀

Reply 14 of 26, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-12-16, 22:06:

Trying once more: What you describe sounds a lot like a corrupt BIOS.
Do you have any way of flashing the EEPROM outside of the board?
You have multiple PCs in your signature. Why not use one of those to perform a hot flash?

^ This.
Looks like there have been at least *some* memory-related issues, so updating might not be a bad idea:
https://soggi.org/motherboards/epox/EP-7KXA.htm

Flashing might even be possible with a suitable NIC. I've used flashrom and a 3C905B to read BIOS chip contents, worked ok (haven't tried writing them).
Can't rule out the bad caps though...

Reply 15 of 26, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The very first thing I would do at this point is to check over the voltages with a multimeter. If voltages aren't where they should be then it's not going to be stable and problems like this can appear.
I'd still do that even if it was working correctly. It's a fundamental step in building a PC in my opinion. It's sort of the analog version of making sure everything is plugged in.

Reply 16 of 26, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're interested in the details of what the BIOS is doing, grab yourself a copy of Pinczakko's BIOS Disassembly Ninjutsu Uncovered. It has a whole section about Award 6.00PG, nicely dissected.

Reply 17 of 26, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote on 2020-12-17, 05:36:

The very first thing I would do at this point is to check over the voltages with a multimeter. If voltages aren't where they should be then it's not going to be stable and problems like this can appear.
I'd still do that even if it was working correctly. It's a fundamental step in building a PC in my opinion. It's sort of the analog version of making sure everything is plugged in.

i thinh everything is the volage department is ok. i tried tree power supplyes, multimeter and...the post card gives me the lights for all the voltages.. so in that department.. it's ok

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 18 of 26, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE:

tried a hot bios swap flash... with a DFI P2XBL.. uses the same 32dip award bios... but.. it gave me error in half the flash.... dammit...
decided to test it on the EP-k7Xa... and. now we have problems.. serious problens..

download/file.php?mode=view&id=98469

i'm going to try again tonight, with uniflash, and the option to unlock the winbond w020. let's see what happens.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    Filename
    bios.jpg
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1