VOGONS

First post, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this 486 DX-33 computer that has been lying in my attic for 20 years. Some understadable rust and a leaked battery. Had to fix one broken keyboard trace with wire. It still looks bad but works so far.
Just wondering if DX2-66 could be used with this board. Should be possible because DX2-66 seems to have internal clock multiplier. There is at least one jumper (J12) and jumper array (JPX1). Chipset is SIS 401/402.

It looks quite similar to this SOYO in the following thread, but with less jumpers Strange problem with 486 motherboard

Attachments

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 1 of 6, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes the common 5v DX2-66 will work fine in the board, just be careful to get a heat sync and remember that the cpu takes a lot of force to dislodge.

It is also possible that a DX40/50 or even certain dx2-80s might work

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2020-12-16, 19:32:

I found this 486 DX-33 computer that has been lying in my attic for 20 years. Some understadable rust and a leaked battery. Had to fix one broken keyboard trace with wire. It still looks bad but works so far.
Just wondering if DX2-66 could be used with this board. Should be possible because DX2-66 seems to have internal clock multiplier. There is at least one jumper (J12) and jumper array (JPX1). Chipset is SIS 401/402.

It looks quite similar to this SOYO in the following thread, but with less jumpers Strange problem with 486 motherboard

Can you save the BIOS to a file please ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you!
Actually pictures on that page does not match. Jumper set is different. Could be just a different rev. My board (rev 2.2) looks much like the one in the picture.
Here are better pictures and a dumped BIOS from 27C512 .

I decided to leave it as it is. I already own several DX2/DX4 and a TX486DLC-40 so this DX-33 will be a nice addition.

Attachments

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 5 of 6, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well well, you discover new things everyday. The Soyo board I linked seems to be almost identical to an Abit AX4:

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/67

Your BIOS reveals the manufacturer ID to actually be 1247, which is Abit (this means your board is the AX4 linked above, not the Soyo).

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
9.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 6 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well there's a reason for that

The soyo you linked uses a Abit AX4 photo for some reason ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative