VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Need to find a USB joystick that I can move between my Win ME and Win 10 systems. I found a few pages claiming the older USB sidewinder precisions and such still work under 10, albeit without the Sidewinder software support.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these or other models that could fill this purpose? Hoping for advice before I start trolling ebay for old joysticks.

The ME machine is strictly a Windows game machine, no need for DOS considerations here.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either a MS Sidewinder Precision 2 or Logitech Extreme 3d Pro joystick. I have both and they work from Vista thru Win 10. (have heard that after Win10 1909 there are some issues with these older joysticks but am running 1809 LTSC)
Actually the Sidewinder works under Win98SE too, and so does the Logitech.....
edit: fixed my error I think 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can even use one of these Sidewinders that came with that USB-> Gameport Adapters.
This would enable you to use it with USB on Win10 and with the Gameport on DOS machines...
The only feature that is not supported any more is "Force Feedback" as far as I'm aware about.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 3 of 5, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a Precision Pro with the USB adapter on ebay and ordered that. Let's see how it goes when it gets here.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 5 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote on 2020-12-17, 16:15:

Found a Precision Pro with the USB adapter on ebay and ordered that. Let's see how it goes when it gets here.

Good choice !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun