VOGONS

First post, by amalgim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

High all, so the perfectionist in me wants to swap out the 5.25" floppy drive in my Windows 98 build because the current drive is that horrendously ugly tan/lightbrown color, and it is clashing with the perfectly color matched CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, and LS-120 SuperDrive in my brand new EverCase Full Size Horizontal Beige case. 🤣.

Anyway, I have been looking for Teac FD-55BR drives because the color is correct, they are comparatively new, and they are 360K. However, I recently came across a site which claims that the FD-55BR is 360k but is 48tpi 80 track. (https://retrocmp.de/fdd/teac/fd55_i.htm) This seems odd to me because I was under the impression that 360k drives were 48tpi 40 track while 1.2mb drives were 96tpi 80 track. However this site is claiming that the FD-55BR is some bastardized amalgamation (haha perfect) of a 360k and 1.2mb drive.

In the end the only thing that matters is, will most random 360k drives be able to read floppies written by the FD-55BR? What is the important determining factor for 360k drive readability - TPI? # of tracks? Both?

Thanks for your help!

Reply 1 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just paint the current 1.2meg fdds front fascia to the color you desire. I recently got color matched a can of beige touch up paint to tidy up a few old steel cases for $nz41. Enough paint to cover a car door panel twice.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 5, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a quad density 720kb 5.25 floppy, not a 360.

I always thought those were fully 360kb compatible but maybe my memory is foggy.

Needed a drvprm setting to make one work in an XT @ 720k

Looking further I think the site you are referencing just fat fingered the spec

Reply 3 of 5, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"48tpi 80 track" would result in disk media (slightly) larger than an 8" disk - 8" disks are 77 track @ 48tpi

a 720kB 5.25" disk is 80 tracks 96tpi, and thus is no more compatible with 40 track disks than a 1.2MB drive is

only difference between 720kB and 1.2MB 5.25" is the data rate, track density is identical

Reply 4 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FD-55BR is double-sided, 40 tracks/side = 80 tracks total
In other words, a completely normal 360 KB drive.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...