VOGONS

First post, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a POD63. 25Mhz bus speed is kinda dumb, so let's pump those numbers up. The LS-486E board has jumpers for 66MHz FSB and 1/2 PCI divider. The POD can be run at 1x multiplier if you remove the fan. I'd like to keep the fan working, for thermal purposes, but block off the detect pin so it runs at 1x multiplier. Which pin do I need to cover?

Reply 1 of 4, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what revision is your board.
I have heard of running them a 33mhz bus speed, instead of 25. Maybe it could run at 40mhz if you are lucky. Are you sure the board doesn't have a 33 mhz FSB jumper? That CPU won't work a 66mhz fsb.

63=25 × 2.5
83=33 x 2.5
165=66 x 2.5 <------------will never work.

Unless I do not understand how that board works at all.

Reply 2 of 4, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you remove the fan the POD downclocks to prevent overheating by setting the multiplier to 1x instead of 2.5x. So running on a 66MHz bus he would get a 66MHz POD, not far from the stock 63 but at twice the bus speed (not sure the 486 bus or the POD design would prevent that CPU from running at 66MHz bus speed though).

The OP wants to cover the fan sense pin to trigger the downclock but without preventing the fan from spinning. I cannot seem to find the pinout online but I suppose it should be possible to determine that with a multimeter.

Reply 3 of 4, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I probed my POD63 and came up with this:

Vss    Probably TACH
\ | ______
O O <
Vcc- O /
---^- / HEATSINK
|

This is looking at the POD with the three big golden "dots" on the ceramic substrate aligned in the upper-left corner. (Basically looking at the top of the chip with the fan off, and the text right-side up.)

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 4 of 4, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds pretty cool, if the rest of the board can handle 66MHz bus speed 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀