VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I purchased a low profile 486 to play with. It's a Gateway 2000 4SX-33 which seems pretty common. Just having a heck of a time finding the motherboard information. I'm at a board with two CPU sockets and two Opti Chips, one a 82c392 and the other a 82c495b as well as I see a small sticker that says 09R9V.

I see a Western Digital graphics chip that says WD90C31A-LR and a Phoenix A486 Bios chip that says J15561. I am looking to disable the onboard video as I'm sure my Cirus Logic 2MB ISA card will probably perform better in DOS and Windows. Right?

Also looking to find out which RAM specs I need to bump it to probably 32MB. I also have a 486 Overdrive 100MHz CPU. Do I remove the original CPU and replace with the OD or do I place it in the other sockets and leave original where it is? Even then I still don't have jumper settings.

Board also has only one IDE connection and uses a ISA controller for the Mitsumi CDROM. I know there is a Packard Bell website I use all the time for literally anything I need to know about those boards. Can't find anything similarly easy to navigate for this system.

Attachments