VOGONS

First post, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm tryna work on the "ultimate" (I guess) 1996-1997 build. Those dates are kinda loose as it's really a mishmash of parts from within those areas. Here's what I have planned so far.

Pentium 166 non-mmx?
64mb ram
Gigabyte GA586-T2 motherboard
16x CDRom
Matrox Mystique
3DFX Voodoo 6MB?
AWE64

While I'v pretty much settled on most parts, I'm a bit hesitant on the CPU and Voodoo.

Im gonna be using this build for DOS and early/mid 3DFX gaming. No Half Life here, but I would like a decent GLQuake
experience. Targeting 25-30FPs in 512x384 or 640x480. With a PS2mouse at 200hz. If that adds any extra processing.

Originally I wanted to go with the 166 non MMX as that seems to be the "classic" OG Pentium and would make sence in the era. But I'm starting to doubt it'd have enough juice to deliver the experience im looking for unlike the 166MMX.

But the non MMX 166 just seems so much more...authentic and classic to me. That does matter. I can't decide between better performance or more authenticity I want. I am not interested in going faster then a 166mmx for this build.

As for the Voodoo. I hope to pickup one of those 6mb cards for the meme, and because they're kinda unique. I also feel a Voodoo 1 would be more period correct for the time, like the P166 non MMX . But I have a 8mb Voodoo 2 lying around and while those are late 98 era parts. I know for a fact they're faster then any V1 would ever be.

So maybe it's worth it making a tiny date exception for that?

Any thoughts on this build? I'd appreciate another perspective .

Reply 1 of 6, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite similar to my "main" build that is used almost daily.

Pentium 166mmx
64mb ram
Gigabyte GA-586ATS
16x cdrom + 48x cdrom
s3 virge 2mb
Voodoo 1 4mb.
AWE32
SW60XG

GLQuake is pretty good. Most voodoo stuff feels OK. Not great but certainly playable.
GTA is great on the 3dfx.
DK with d3d is sluggish but playable.

I wish I could get my 200mmx to work as I feel for my use I just need a tiny bit extra from the system.

I started off similar to you. Dead set on a plain pentium 100. Eventually it has escalated to this 😀

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 2 of 6, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I played GLQuake for years and years, and at that time I switched from P54C (Pentium 166 non-mmx) to P55C (Pentium 200 mmx).
I remember very well the increase of playability and fun with Quake with new cpu, mostly for increasing frequency rather than MMX
instruction set...
In case check difference in price... 😀
Switching to ceramic P54C technology to plastic P55C Intel did not lost the "real nature" of Pentium I processor, IMHO.
Cheers!

Reply 4 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ayrton wrote on 2020-12-20, 00:14:

Switching to ceramic P54C technology to plastic P55C Intel did not lost the "real nature" of Pentium I processor, IMHO.
Cheers!

And both P166MMX and P200MMX is also available in ceramic package, if it makes a difference for OP's feel about the build .. 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonder how much the double L1 cache of an MMX would matter for Quake ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a billion computers and others have MMX than I guess its up to you what you want to do with it, Personally I wouldn't drop anything less than a 233 MMX CPU in that board if I was building a windows 95 computer.

I can't really comment on the Matrox Mystique, as the only matrox cards I have any experience with are g400s. It's probably a decent 2d accelerator. If it has 8mb of ram it might be ok, anything less than that I wouldn't bother with.

Lucky you to have a 6mb voodoo 1 only voodoo 1 I have is 4mb. But you will need this becasue a Matrox Mystique cannot do 3d at all.

AWE64 is a good card, but there are plenty of other options depending on what you need sound wise. It doesn't support wavetable add on boards, and the GS synth it has isn't the best but definitely unique sounding. Its CQM instead of OPL3 and the sounds are also a little different for OPL3 like DUKE3D sounds way off. But if you are going for games that are SB16, AWE32, or any games that fully support 64 voices its a great card and flexible.