VOGONS

First post, by Bakersor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the MIDI world, but I've been using a SC-55ST in my DOS gaming rig for a while and I am extremely happy with it. I've been wanting to push to early 90s gaming and I just took the chance of acquiring an MT-32 for relatively cheap (mt-32 emulation wasn't satisfying).
Do you have any suggestions on how to combine SC-55ST and MT-32 in my DOS gaming build (aka build a midi tower out of these two with limited effort in switching between them)? The SC-55ST doesn't look like it was designed to be part of a midi tower (no MIDI Out or Thru) and using a MIDI input and output selector is at the bottom of my list just because of the limited space I have to deal with. If it cannot be avoided, do you suggest any MIDI selectors?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just get a small midi-thru box like this: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MINDBURNER-3-way-MIDI … SAAAOSwSA5dvB64
It will take the midi-out from your soundcard and multiply it safely
Just keep in mind to get an external powered unit and not a self-powered one (that leeches power from midi cable) for best results and stability

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The Mt32 has a midi-thru port, so midi-out of your PC connects to midi-in of your mt32. The midi-thru of the mt32 connects to the SC55 midi-in. You just have to make sure you have the mt32 turned on when you want to use the SC55.
for the audio output, I'd suggest a little mixer device.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper