VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this was one of those incoherent late night ebay purchases. I picked up one of these and when it arrived i realized my mistake.
Adaptec_AHA_1510A_View1_20176211633.jpg

Would it still work in DOS 6.22 on a 286 class machine? I would just need some drivers from adaptec ez-scsi? or would it not work at all?

It's been a few years... I think i need aspi2dos.sys, not sure if I need any other drivers, or if I will need afdisk to partition the drive.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 1 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DaveJustDave wrote on 2020-12-22, 04:42:
this was one of those incoherent late night ebay purchases. I picked up one of these and when it arrived i realized my mistake […]
Show full quote

this was one of those incoherent late night ebay purchases. I picked up one of these and when it arrived i realized my mistake.
Adaptec_AHA_1510A_View1_20176211633.jpg

Would it still work in DOS 6.22 on a 286 class machine? I would just need some drivers from adaptec ez-scsi? or would it not work at all?

It's been a few years... I think i need aspi2dos.sys, not sure if I need any other drivers, or if I will need afdisk to partition the drive.

Without a SCSI BIOS, you won't be able to boot from any device (like a SCSI hard drive) connected to it .

Reply 3 of 12, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They'll work just fine but obviously you won't be able to boot from a SCSI HDD connected to this card.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 5 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It will work perfectly fine in DOS on a 286. You do need ASPI2DOS.SYS. You will also need ASPIDISK.SYS for HDDs and ASPICD.SYS for CDROMs. You will not be able to boot from the SCSI hard drive.

Reply 6 of 12, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that makes a whole lot of sense. it hadn't occurred to me that I'd need BIOS to boot - duh! I ended up ordering the BIOS version of that board, $20 mistake after shipping. I guess that's not terrible but now I have this paperweight on my desk.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 8 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-12-22, 17:54:

So it's missing the boot ROM and floppy controller?

Yes ! It probably came with a SCSI CDROM, JAZZ drive or higher end SCSI scanner.
Added: The 1510 is a stripped down 1522 (it had BIOS and Floppy support), both use the AIC-6360

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote on 2020-12-22, 17:47:

that makes a whole lot of sense. it hadn't occurred to me that I'd need BIOS to boot - duh! I ended up ordering the BIOS version of that board, $20 mistake after shipping. I guess that's not terrible but now I have this paperweight on my desk.

You can still use it. Just not as a boot device scsi card.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 10 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-12-22, 17:54:

So it's missing the boot ROM and floppy controller?

It doesn't need a floppy controller as there is no floppy connector, only internal and external SCSI connectors.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 11 of 12, by led178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_20211005_095206.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211005_095206.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I am using a board to solve the 2000 problem 😀 Also bios can be added using a network card.

Reply 12 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2020-12-22, 15:06:

Is it feasible to add a Bios to the card?

Very. Take a look at the delta between the AHA-1510A and the AHA-1520A. All the silkscreen and connections are there for the missing bits on the AHA-1510A. Some are SMD though, so it takes a steady hand and the right tools, but very much within the realms of ability of someone who's done something like the Lo-Tech 1MB/2MB EMS memory boards.