VOGONS

First post, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I recently installed Windows 98 SE on a Toshiba Satellite 2550CDT and I have no cursor if booting directly into DOS. If I start Windows and open a DOS window then I have a cursor as expected. Just to rule out the possibility of there being something installed that is causing this I booted the system from the Win98 CD and there was also no cursor.

I also have Debian 3.0 installed on this system and all command line interfaces there have the cursor.

Finally I also thought it could be the screen scaling option in the BIOS but that also has no effect on the visibility of the cursor.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this. Any ideas what could be wrong and what I can try to restore the cursor in DOS?

Here are some visuals for reference :

851BC81A-FA71-4B09-9CBB-7AA675FDA912.jpeg
Filename
851BC81A-FA71-4B09-9CBB-7AA675FDA912.jpeg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File comment
DOS with no cursor
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
F720EA5F-EB32-43EA-8692-BED9C8BBD5C6.jpeg
Filename
F720EA5F-EB32-43EA-8692-BED9C8BBD5C6.jpeg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File comment
DOS command prompt inside Win98
File license
1E2C74FC-DD34-4760-BCAE-789D46619A22.jpeg
Filename
1E2C74FC-DD34-4760-BCAE-789D46619A22.jpeg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File comment
Debian 3.0 login screen
File license

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
devius wrote on 2020-12-26, 22:31:

So I recently installed Windows 98 SE on a Toshiba Satellite 2550CDT and I have no cursor if booting directly into DOS.

Put a "Prompt $P$G" line in top of autoexec.bat and it should give a full cursor in DOS. DOS does not always return to full cursor when certain device drivers are loaded.
So you may have to to put it near the end of Autoexec after all devices are loaded... added: I see you are loading a ESS executable in Autoexec which could be the cause in DOS.
That should put: Current drive and path + > (greater-than sign) + _ (flashing underscore) as in C:\DOS>_ back as default
edit: missed a thing and bad grammar 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Horun. Unfortunately that didn’t help. I had also ruled out the possibility of the problem being caused by some TSR or driver.

Some more observations that may be useful:
- There is also no cursor on edit.com
- If I have a mouse driver loaded I can see the mouse cursor in edit.com but there is still no text input cursor

I’m starting to suspect this is some kind of hardware issue, possibly related to the graphics card. I’ll dig up all the drivers I can find for this PC to see if there is anything related to this.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On some systems running real DOS, like those using CGA graphiks,
the cursor blink is handled by the hardware (Motorola CRTC in case of CGA)..
Maybe it's similar with your laptop.
- The cursor in the DOS window, by contrast, is controlled by Windows, I think.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I suspect it’s something like that. The only thing I found that could offer some more clues is a companion disk for Toshiba laptops but I currently don’t have any 1,44MB floppies with me to create it so can’t try it now.

In the mean time I updated the BIOS from the original 7.10 to 8.20 but that made no difference to the cursor.

Reply 5 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "Prompt $P$G" is inserted last in autoexec.bat. I always have this in all of the DOS boxens that I had.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.