VOGONS

First post, by cross

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I do have two different Compaq prolineas, one 4/50S Desktop and one MT 4/66.
The first is running Windows 3.1 and the second Windows 95.

I want to use them with a "SmartView IC-814" KVM switch, together with a Dell Dimension 8100 Tower running Windows ME.

Everything works great, besides the mouse on the both Compaqs for some reason.
Using a separate mouse they work great, but not the mouse via the KVM-switch. I have tested atleast 3 different PS/2 mouses. They work great directly in to the computers, but not via the KVM switch.
The Dell tower with ME works great.

The Win95 computer reports a Driver/Hardware failure with the mouse when running through the KVM-switch.

Any ideas on what is going on here?
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like a pretty basic, unpowered KVM, that's a good thing, no drivers to worry about and as far as windows is concerned it shouldn't even know the "mouse" is a KVM
Which port is the Dell plugged into? have you tried the Compaq's in that port using the same cable?

Reply 2 of 6, by cross

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your response!

It does have a port for separate power. Have tried it both unpowered and powered. Same deal. I have tried all the different ports, and even other cable sets.
Tried a couple of P2 era PC´s they work as expected. So this seem to be only a problem with the prolineas for some really odd reason?
Windows does "detect" an error with the mouse once its plugged in to the KVM. But it is still just the standard mouse driver.

Reply 3 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I didn't think I would be much help but was worth a try!

Ok found a manual, you can try entering "command mode" and disabling the "mouse clicking option" maybe this is causing a conflict of some type.

Also just found out some Proliana's had a "quick lock" function that disable keyboard and mouse if Ctrl, Alt, L are pressed. Maybe that's conflicting with the KVM's own hotkeys somehow?
Seems you need a diagnosis disk or software to disable?
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals ... FEB95).pdf

Alternately you could try disabling the other hot key's on the KVM, this would explain why its just the compaq's that don't work

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by cross

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
Thats pretty interesting! The quick lock is disabled though, so i think thats not the problem.

However, the Prolineas may be doing something strange with the hotkeys at bootup as you say.
But for some strange reason i cannot get in to the "Control Mode" by just pressing the Num Lock twice. Not sure what is going on there. It does respond to other hotkeys as scroll lock or Right shift and so on.

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My last idea is if you enable quick lock and try locking/unlocking after the PC boots? my thinking is maybe the kvm is sending the lock command during post so the mouse actually works its just disabled.
It's a verrryyy big long shot though and i give it a 0.1% chance of working but maybe just maybe?

In the end I can see you needing a mouse connected direct unless swapping KVM's 🙁 at least a mouse doesn't take up much space I guess

Reply 6 of 6, by cross

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

chinny22,

Thank you very much for your help and input. However, i seem to have hit a dead end with this.
I think i will have to do with three mice for now. Its not to bad. However the KVM switch is great, and works with all other computers.

One of these days, it would be interesting to hook up either the scope or a logic analyzer to the PS/2 ports and compare them, just to see what they are doing!