VOGONS

PS/2 Vs. USB for Windows 98 SE

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A USB mouse needs to have internal PS/2 capability to work with a PS/2 adapter. You can't just use any USB mouse that way. The general rule of thumb is if the mouse was sold with the adapter when it was new, then it should work.

I use a PS/2 keyboard and a USB optical mouse with a PS/2 adapter to minimize dependency on drivers or bios support. Generally bios support for USB input devices has been good in my experience with Socket A and newer systems, but going with PS/2 means I don't have to worry about it.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 21 of 26, by xrror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
omgfoz wrote on 2020-12-29, 00:35:

I know usb mice have higher resolution and move more smoothly on screen but how is the compatibility?

For win9x PS2rate is your friend. Lets you set the sampling rate up to 200Hz if I remember right. Usually 60 to 100 is sufficient.

Attachments

• Filename
    ps2rate04.zip
    File size
    119.73 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File comment
    PS/2 mouse sampling rate changer for Windoze 95/98 by Juha Kujala
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 24 of 26, by xrror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea again I can't stress just how much PS2rate rocks. I understand that sure, back in the pre win3.11 days sure, proc time is precious and indeed if you do set the polling rate to like 200Hz on like a 486-33 you literally can choke the system moving the mouse slow (it slams IRQ - if it doesn't outright crash) but the default rate of like 15Hz/fps on anything newer just... no. Like any 486 faster than 50mhz can easily handle 60Hz, and there's just no damn excuse MS never updated the default in say, win98.

You don't need a USB mouse in win9x for the cursor movement to not suck. PS2rate (this post sponsored by ... ;p)

on a tangent... wasn't there some sick way to graft the USB components from WinME onto 98SE? that said, that way leads to the dark side, it does...

Reply 25 of 26, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guess I'm a mouse ignoramus, but in my experience mice are mice. Use them for games, use them for everything. I don't use optical mice. In fact, didn't even have one until a couple of years ago. I didn't buy it, I salvaged it new. Rate? Precision? Whaa?

I need to clean the mouse maybe once in 6 months. Don't use a pad anymore. The table and mouse are wearing on each other (it's melamine) but it's nice not having to deal with a mat.

Reply 26 of 26, by omgfoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xrror wrote on 2021-01-07, 07:09:
omgfoz wrote on 2020-12-29, 00:35:

I know usb mice have higher resolution and move more smoothly on screen but how is the compatibility?

For win9x PS2rate is your friend. Lets you set the sampling rate up to 200Hz if I remember right. Usually 60 to 100 is sufficient.

Blast from the past! I totally remember having PS2rate back in the day. Thank you for the reminder!

Also, this thread did convince me to get a PS2 mouse and keyboard. Patiently awaiting their arrival.

--Rob, Certified AMD Fanboy

Main: Ryzen 7 3700X / Asus Prime X570-p / 32GB DDR4-3600 / Radeon 5700XT / Win 10

Alt 1 (WIP): Athlon Thunderbird 1ghz / Asus A7V / 512MB SDRAM / ATI Radeon 9800 All in Wonder/ Win XP