VOGONS

First post, by ernestb86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i recently got an Intel d815eea (socket 370) motherboard along with a P III 1Ghz Coppermine CPU and i'll like to build it along with other components ( i'll create a log for this). i've got the stock cooler and heatsink and i'm wondering if it'll be enough or are there better options available?

I also do have an old Cooler Master CMV12 lying around, which looks a bit better than the stock cooler but i'm open to suggestions to get a better cooling options for my build.

Thanks

Edit: Added Info regarding the motherboard socket

Last edited by ernestb86 on 2020-12-29, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium 3's didnt really make a huge amount of heat to warrant exotic cooling.

that said, these are my secret favorites: https://www.alphanovatech.com/en/cat_pfe.html#spec_pal

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 14, by ernestb86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2020-12-29, 01:45:

Pentium 3's didnt really make a huge amount of heat to warrant exotic cooling.

that said, these are my secret favorites: https://www.alphanovatech.com/en/cat_pfe.html#spec_pal

Thanks for this heatsink suggestion! I'll take note of these coolers. Do you know of any heatsink with a screw attachment clip? It's been long since i don't build a P III/P IV rig, and i remember that with these heatsinks i used to do some pressure in order to install it.

Reply 4 of 14, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will need a SECC2 heatsink+fan such as this one.
I have a very similar one on my Pentium 3 1 GHz CPUs and it works fine. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, Pentium 3 CPUs don't really require any special, exotic cooling.

Last edited by bloodem on 2020-12-29, 20:51. Edited 2 times in total.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 6 of 14, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

True, just saw that it's a socket 370 motherboard. Scratch my previous post 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 7 of 14, by ernestb86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, sorry i should have clarified that i do have a socket 370 setup in mind with the d815eea motherboard. I'll have the first post edited.

Regarding my current options i currently have the CVM 12 but i think it's the fan name actually, and along with the heatsing the model i do have is the Cooler Master DP5-6I31D-01

mg1D9a.jpg

and the other one is the stock intel a28837.

I'll check out the heatsink and fan from https://www.alphanovatech.com/en/c_pale.html as the ones i have are actually pretty old by now. Also these fans and the motherboard actually was given by a neighbour who didn't want these parts anymore. I'll probably do a log of this build in another topic.

Reply 8 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I mean, the one you pictured will work great. You can just replace that fan with anything you want.

In fact, i'm like 95% sure I have one of those exact coolers.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 14, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would get a fan speed controller along with it so you can adjust the speed of the fan to quiet it.
Most fans speed at full speed and are loud. You don’t need the fan to spin at full speed to cool the CPU.
Also check the temp with a temp-gun.
Check you recommended CPU temp on “CPU world.com”.

Reply 10 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be careful when mounting larger heatsinks if you're using a Coppermine without a heatspreader.

A lot of later heatsinks that also advertise Socket A compatibility can be pretty tight and put a lot of force on the CPU die. Since Pentium IIIs don't have pads in the corners like Socket A chips do, it's very easy for the heatsink to tip slightly when mounting which can crack the corners off of the die pretty easily. Doesn't happen all the time, but it's something to watch out for.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 14, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-12-30, 20:44:

Be careful when mounting larger heatsinks if you're using a Coppermine without a heatspreader.

Sometimes I play with the idea of getting some common trash bottom shelf Tualatin Celeron, maybe a dead one, removing the heat spreader and putting it on a Coppermine.
Or maybe even a P4 or a Core2 heat spreader if the thickness allows for it. There are a lot of Celeron Ds in office PCs and the only use for them is to make hit piece videos and articles about how trash they were.

Would that work? I think there were some Coppermines manufactured with heat spreader.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 12 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not a bad idea, but it would depend on the height of the chip under the heat spreader. I know a p3 doesn't put out a ton of heat compared to later chips, but heat spreader contact (and the TIM used) has proven to be a pretty big deal over the past 10 years or so.

If you can easily delid a bunch of newer chips that no one cares about, I think it'd be worth experimenting with.
You'd want to test it using a motherboard that can (accurately) read your CPU's thermal sensor as well, because not all can.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 13 of 14, by ernestb86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-12-30, 20:44:

A lot of later heatsinks that also advertise Socket A compatibility can be pretty tight and put a lot of force on the CPU die. Since Pentium IIIs don't have pads in the corners like Socket A chips do, it's very easy for the heatsink to tip slightly when mounting which can crack the corners off of the die pretty easily. Doesn't happen all the time, but it's something to watch out for.

Hi, do you know of any heatspreader for a Coppermine CPU? I was about to start building this rig up on this week but if i can get something to prevent the die from possible break that's probably better. The heatsink i've got it's kinda large for this CPU. So i'm figuring out if just going with the stock heatsink and fan is not in fact a bad idea.

I think also the pads that are present on some of the socket a processors could work on a coppermine one, as i think the problem is with the pressure the heatsink does against the CPU die.

I guess otherwise i'll try to reduce the pressure that the heatsink bar does by bending it a bit more and be more careful when installing it.

Reply 14 of 14, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are late Coppermine CPU's that have same heat spreader as Tualatins.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)