VOGONS

Ali M1209 Chipset and 4MB Simms

Topic actions

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a cheap old Ali M1209 chipset 386sx motherboard. http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6283

I want to run windows 95 on the board just for fun.

I have 7 good 9-chip 1 MB simms (+1 bad one).

The board works reliably with 2x or 4x 9-chip simms.
Only detects 1 MB of ram when I try 6 simms and is not stable.
I tried some known good 3 chip 1MB simms but Memtest fails pretty quickly. That's not too surprising for a 1991 board.
It doesn't recognize any of the 9 chip or 3 chip 4MB simms that I have. That surprised me.

Does anyone know if any Ali M1209 boards supported 4MB simms?

Is there any way to find out by poking around in the BIOS dump?

Reply 1 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll need 4 or 8 of 30 pin simma. Most likely the mobo bios/chipset only sees/supports 16megs all up.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 24, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-29, 04:38:

You'll need 4 or 8 of 30 pin simma. Most likely the mobo bios/chipset only sees/supports 16megs all up.

It’s a 386sx so it only has a 16 bit memory bus, which is why it works with 2 simms.

Reply 3 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have ran CheckIt! on all the simms?

Reply 4 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If your board doesn't support 4MB SIMMs, there's not much you can do except get an ISA RAM card, though of course it will be slower than onboard RAM, it's still better than no upgrade at all.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 24, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2020-12-29, 04:28:

Does anyone know if any Ali M1209 boards supported 4MB simms?

Is there any way to find out by poking around in the BIOS dump?

Yes, there is a way. The BIOS auto-detects the SIMM configuration and configures the chipset accordingly. 3 banks of 1MB SIMMs is unsupported, and causes fallback to 1M. Your best way of action is obtaining a working 8th 1MB module. The following configurations are supported:

B0  B1  B2  B3
256 - - - -> 512K (Code 1)
256 256 - - -> 1M (Code 2)
256 256 256 256 -> 2M (Code 3)
1M - - - -> 2M (Code 5)
256 256 1M - -> 3M (Code 8)
1M 1M - - -> 4M (Code 6)
1M 1M 256 256 -> 5M (Code 4)
256 256 1M 1M -> 5M (Code 0)
1M 1M 1M 1M -> 8M (Code 7)

Technical detail: The code number for the RAM configuration is stored in the top four bits of chipset configuration register 10h, the total amount of on-board memory in Megabytes (1 in case of 0.5MB) is stored in the top four bits of chipset configuration register 12h. Chipset configuration is accessed using indexed port I/O at 22h/23h.

Reply 6 of 24, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I can see, the other two boards with a M1209 chipset only support 1MB per module, so yeah, 8MB might be the max memory config you can do.

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/result/?chipsetId=745

Reply 7 of 24, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the help.

ISA Ram? Wow. Interesting idea. Didn't think about that. I'd worry that the ISA ram is likely not L2 cacheable, except this this little board doesn't even had an L2 cache, so no worries, right?

As much fun as it would be to try to get this little fellow running with something like that, I don't love it so much that I want to invest that kind of money in esoteric equipment just to get there.

Right now, I'm not even particularly motivated to spend money to replace the bad simm that's limiting me to 4MB RAM right now. I'd probably find one at a thrift store before this board finished installing Win95 as it is, 🤣!

It could be the slowest 386 I've worked with. It manages to score over 31,000 realtics in Doom with an ISA Stealth 64 .

Reply 8 of 24, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2020-12-29, 17:52:

ISA Ram? Wow. Interesting idea. Didn't think about that. I'd worry that the ISA ram is likely not L2 cacheable, except this this little board doesn't even had an L2 cache, so no worries, right?

ISA RAM boards can run at zero wait states, which means it takes two ISA clocks (at 8MHz) for a single 16 bit access. Onboard RAM also can support 0WS cycles (and often does for page hits in fast page mode RAM), which means an onboard RAM cycle takes two processor clocks (at 16/20/25 MHz), so onboard RAM can definitely be faster than RAM on ISA RAM expansion cards. I still remember the time where the whole world seemed swamped in 30-pin 1MB SIMMs no one needed anymore, so it's a strange feeling for me to see these modules today at prices that are way above shipping costs. One should be able to catch some cheap modules with a bit of patience, even the (likely slightly rarer) 9-chip modules.

Reply 9 of 24, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2020-12-29, 18:45:

I still remember the time where the whole world seemed swamped in 30-pin 1MB SIMMs no one needed anymore, so it's a strange feeling for me to see these modules today at prices that are way above shipping costs. One should be able to catch some cheap modules with a bit of patience, even the (likely slightly rarer) 9-chip modules.

Very true. The days of getting a mixed bag of 50 simms for $10 seems to have passed.

In the US right now, used 1MB 9-chip simms are selling $6-$10 each, depending on what speed you want. That's within 10% of the price as newly made 4MB 9-chip 60ns simms. I bought a set of the 4x 4MB simms , which are probably more valuable than the mobo. And then this ungrateful little board didn't seem to care for them. So now the board gets sent to bed with 4MB of ram and it can be ram starved all night for all I care. I got plenty of other memory hungry boards that would gobble up those 4MB sticks for dinner! 😁😁

I think I spent 2 hours trying to find an arrangement where 3 chip simms or the bad 9 chip simm would pass test 3 in Memtest+. Had to explain to my kids what I meant when I kept muttering "Come on!! No Whammies!!".

Reply 10 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a few 30 pin SIMMs. If they fail CheckIt! out to the trash they go....

Attachments

• IMAG0018.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0018.JPG
    File size
    320.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 24, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-12-29, 20:24:

I've got a few 30 pin SIMMs. If they fail CheckIt! out to the trash they go....

Nice collection, and I wanted to look at the simms, but like the camera, all I could do was focus on the sock!!

I prefer memtest+ to CheckIt, but yeah, I agree, bad ram has to go and I tossed the bad simm in the trash once I isolated it, but once I realized I couldn't get any of the known good 3chip simms to work for any length of time, I thought there might be a chance that if I just put the simms in a different order, maybe they could along with Ali M1209 in some weird quirk of fate, so I pulled it back out of the trash and peeled off the wad of tape that read "BAD" that I had stuck on it. But no, they didn't get along and back in the trash it went.

Reply 13 of 24, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-12-29, 22:19:

The ISA bus can only address (the lower) 16MB of memory. Would be a bit pointless to make an ISA expansion card that supports 4MB sticks

The ISA bus is 16 bits wide, so 2 sticks form a bank. 2*4MB = 8MB on an ISA memory card might make sense.

Reply 14 of 24, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2020-12-29, 22:24:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-12-29, 22:19:

The ISA bus can only address (the lower) 16MB of memory. Would be a bit pointless to make an ISA expansion card that supports 4MB sticks

The ISA bus is 16 bits wide, so 2 sticks form a bank. 2*4MB = 8MB on an ISA memory card might make sense.

I suppose you're right looking at it from a modern perspective that would indeed work fine, but I'm fairly sure such a thing was never built back in the day

Reply 15 of 24, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's one that take 4MB simms: https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/A-B/52462.htm

I imagine if there was a board that switched between EMS and XMS, maybe you would put more than 16MB on it, but I never saw such a thing.

Reply 16 of 24, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2020-12-29, 23:48:

Here's one that take 4MB simms: https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/A-B/52462.htm

I imagine if there was a board that switched between EMS and XMS, maybe you would put more than 16MB on it, but I never saw such a thing.

Well I stand corrected!

Reply 18 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Acculogic Rampat! and Rampat! Plus are both EMS only cards.

douglar wrote on 2020-12-30, 00:07:

Here's one that says 32MB -- But I don't have enough documentation to figure out if that's EMS only.
https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/I-L/50517.htm

I think that is also an EMS only card from what found googling.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

32MB cards for ISA definitely exist. I have one called Orchid Ramquest 8/16. It can be used as conventional backfill, LIM 4.0 EMS or XMS, but obviously the memory beyond 24-bit addressing can only be configured for EMS. Never tried it in a 386, though it should work.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium