VOGONS

First post, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello

A week ago, I purchased a defective Notebook from ebay.
It's a Kontron In Lite.
Like the Panasonic Toughbook and the Roda Rocky, it's a rugged Laptop designed for industrial purposes.
In the item description, it said, this Notebook started to smoke, when the seller turned it on.
Therefore, I would like to disassemble it, in order to find out what's wrong with it and then fix it (if possible).
However I have no idea, how to disassemble this thing.
Quick google searches didn't reveal any useful informations.
Maybe one of you guys, can tell me, how to take it apart, without breaking anything.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Just tell me, in case you need any pictures of it.

Reply 1 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wilius wrote on 2020-12-29, 12:35:

Just tell me, in case you need any pictures of it.

Unless anyone has the same device and taken it apart already they're very likely helpful.
Also pictures of retro gear are always nice. 😉😎

Reply 2 of 6, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the late reply.
First, i'm going to make sure to add pictures soon.
At second, I actually managed to take it apart without breaking anything.
I don't know how, but I somehow figured it out, which defeats the whole point of this thread.
I suppose, fortune was on my side.
Let me tell you, the inside was a mess.
The failed component was a radio interference suppression capacitors, that released the magic smoke.
There was also a leaked Ni/Cd battery, that had to be removed.
I've then proceeded to clean the whole motherboard using diluted vinegar and isopropyl alcohol.
And low and behold, after all this hustle, it works now, using a external monitor.
The internal display must be dead. It only glows white.
I'm sorry, that I wasted your time.

Reply 3 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad to read you figured it out and got it mostly working! 😃
And really, there's no reason to apologise about that.😉
Btw. could it be the screen is actually working but PCB damage is preventing a signal from being passed through?

Reply 4 of 6, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already wish you a happy new year, as i'm going to take a little break next year.
As far as I can tell, the PCB looks fine. I already applied fresh solder to the connector, but still the screen stays white.
Interestingly enough, I can still adjust the brightness and contrast of the screen using the FN + F5 and F6 keys.
Perhaps you're right and the PCB is actually damaged, as the Ni/Cd battery was right next to the connector.
However the leakage was only minor and I couldn't find any obvious damage.
Another possibility is, that I damaged the diplay connector itself, or perhaps, the connector isn't pluged in correctly, or it's in the wrong spot.
I'm still looking into making some photos, however as I don't own a proper camera, i'm going to ask my brother, whether he can take some close ups for me.

Reply 5 of 6, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I apologize for the delay.
I finally managed to take the photos I promised.
I will also take some photos of the Motherboard later.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 6, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to admit something.
I promised to take some photos of the motherboard.
But I've forgot about it and putted it back together, without taking the pictures.
Therefore, I beg for your pardon.
Because the reassembly process was painfully difficult, i'm not looking into taking it apart soon.
However, there will be definitely pictures of it in the future, as i'm still trying to fix the display.
I also need to solder on a battery socket for CR2032 coin cells, as the original Ni/Cd battery had leaked.
Furthermore, i'm planning to upgrade the RAM and hard disk.
Once everything works smoothly, I have big plans for this behemoth.
I'm especially looking forward to make use, of its ISA slot.
I can't promise that "things" will happening soon, but I certainly will update you, when something has been done.
So, if you're interested for more, stay tuned.
Thanks for showing interest in my posts. I appreciate it.