VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in 1988 I purchased a Tandy 1000 SX that I upgraded with a NEC V20 CPU and a full 640K. Later that year I invested in a PC Technologies 286 Express accelerator card with a 80287 math coprocessor. This was my daily driver for the next two years. I ended up selling it and getting a Northgate 386DX/20 computer. Fast forward 30+ years and I regret having sold that computer as I had such fond memories of it. One of the items on my bucket list was recreating that computer. At the end of 2019 I got Tandy 1000 SX again, but I never thought I would find that accelerator card. Well I lucked out and found one, I am just waiting for it arrive. This is going to be a fun project and I will post more on this once the 286 Express card is installed. Retro computing for me is all about recreating memories of the computers I once had. I am sure this is same for many others as well.

Reply 1 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kawl.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-01-01, 16:54:

Retro computing for me is all about recreating memories of the computers I once had. I am sure this is same for many others as well.

Hmm Glad you found an equal to your first but do not agree that getting the exact same machine you had decades ago is required to recreate the memories, any computer that is close should be good enough.
I had an IBM 5160-3270 XT workstation way back, was my first PC. To replace it decades later I got a Laser XT/3, it is by far a better XT than that 5160 in many ways but still replicates that old experience.
Happy New Year and hope you enjoy booting from floppy (Tandy 1000 SX had no internal HD) 😉

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 10, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-01-02, 01:44:
Hmm Glad you found an equal to your first but do not agree that getting the exact same machine you had decades ago is required t […]
Show full quote
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-01-01, 16:54:

Retro computing for me is all about recreating memories of the computers I once had. I am sure this is same for many others as well.

Hmm Glad you found an equal to your first but do not agree that getting the exact same machine you had decades ago is required to recreate the memories, any computer that is close should be good enough.
I had an IBM 5160-3270 XT workstation way back, was my first PC. To replace it decades later I got a Laser XT/3, it is by far a better XT than that 5160 in many ways but still replicates that old experience.
Happy New Year and hope you enjoy booting from floppy (Tandy 1000 SX had no internal HD) 😉

My first computer was an original Tandy 1000 that died after 3 years. The Tandy 1000 SX was my 2nd computer that I got as a replacement. I also have 4 other Tandy 1000s; 1000A, 1000 SL, 1000 TX, and 1000 TL/2. All of which I owned at one time or another. I got back into Retro computing after my dad passed away in 2019 and it has been my outlet for dealing with the loss.

Reply 4 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-01-02, 02:01:

My first computer was an original Tandy 1000 that died after 3 years. The Tandy 1000 SX was my 2nd computer that I got as a replacement. I also have 4 other Tandy 1000s; 1000A, 1000 SL, 1000 TX, and 1000 TL/2. All of which I owned at one time or another. I got back into Retro computing after my dad passed away in 2019 and it has been my outlet for dealing with the loss.

I understand ! My dad passed in 2017. We used to go hunting, fishing and watch college football games together until the last few years. My outlet has been similar, takes time but the pain subsides, the missing does not.
We are lucky. Some do not have a good father figure that is actually worth being missed.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 10, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-01-02, 02:15:
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-01-02, 02:01:

I understand ! My dad passed in 2017. We used to go hunting, fishing and watch college football games together until the last few years. My outlet has been similar, takes time but the pain subsides, the missing does not.
We are lucky. Some do not have a good father figure that is actually worth being missed.

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad to hear that you have found Retro computing as outlet too:)

Reply 6 of 10, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the 286 Express today was totally let down to find connector cable the 8088 was damaged with bent and broken pins. The user manual had highlighting with the areas indicated that someone was attempting be install it in a Tandy 1000A. This was definitely used and apparently who ever tried to install it damaged the 8088 connector cable. The seller claimed it was never installed. Needless to say, I am demanding a refund. Because it was in fact installed going against the seller's description of the item.

Reply 7 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-01-10, 02:08:

I got the 286 Express today was totally let down to find connector cable the 8088 was damaged with bent and broken pins. The user manual had highlighting with the areas indicated that someone was attempting be install it in a Tandy 1000A. This was definitely used and apparently who ever tried to install it damaged the 8088 connector cable. The seller claimed it was never installed. Needless to say, I am demanding a refund. Because it was in fact installed going against the seller's description of the item.

Wow that is too bad ! How could they not notice a damage cable... Any other damage ?
One of my favorite online stores always lets me know before shipping (quickly by email) if an item appears used or has bent pin or other that may not show well in a picture.
Just had an email from him about bent pins on a few IC's I had ordered (and he included some better close up pictures), told him it was OK and to please ship.
Some sellers go out of their way to hide that stuff and others want you to know because they value a good customer and good rating.
Recently Did not buy a motherboard because the seller refused to send me better pictures around a barrel Varta battery, claimed his pictures were good enough (paraphrased)..

Reply 8 of 10, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-01-10, 04:31:
Wow that is too bad ! How could they not notice a damage cable... Any other damage ? One of my favorite online stores always let […]
Show full quote
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-01-10, 02:08:

Wow that is too bad ! How could they not notice a damage cable... Any other damage ?
One of my favorite online stores always lets me know before shipping (quickly by email) if an item appears used or has bent pin or other that may not show well in a picture.
Just had an email from him about bent pins on a few IC's I had ordered (and he included some better close up pictures), told him it was OK and to please ship.
Some sellers go out of their way to hide that stuff and others want you to know because they value a good customer and good rating.
Recently Did not buy a motherboard because the seller refused to send me better pictures around a barrel Varta battery, claimed his pictures were good enough (paraphrased)..

The seller does have 100% feedback on eBay, but with only 69 total sales. If the seller does not make things right, I always have eBay's buyer protection. I included pictures in my refund request. Based on the evidence I have, I should get my money back.

Reply 9 of 10, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never heard a word back from the seller, but eBay approved my refund request and that I return the item back to the seller which I have already done. I have dealt with other sellers on eBay where things did not go right and all have them have been more than accommodating to make things right. This is the first time I have gotten nothing but dead silence. I will not be posting positive feedback on this purchase to say the least!

Reply 10 of 10, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally heard back from the Seller. It turns out their father passed away and was not able to respond. That is most unfortunate as I already left negative feedback. Fortunately there is remedy using eBay to facilitate a change to the feedback. Very sad indeed, but at least things can be set right.