VOGONS

First post, by brettp11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Need expert help.

I’m trying to connect the LED frequency display on my retro AT case to a new AT PSU. The old PSU is fried and had a direct red/black cable going to the frequency display LED, which is now cut so I could remove the fried PSU. The new AT PSU does not have a dedicated wire like this. How would you suggest I reconnect this. Is this just a 5V cable?

Pictures included.

Thank you!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it should be a 5 volt line, you should open the dead PSU to be sure.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by brettp11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-01-02, 16:19:

Thank you! Yes, that LED frequency cable hooked directly into the old PSU at a +5V terminal, same place as a bunch of other red cables (picture attached). So is it as simple as splicing together one of the red / black unused floppy drive cables to the LED cable?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brettp11 wrote on 2021-01-02, 16:43:
Horun wrote on 2021-01-02, 16:19:

Thank you! Yes, that LED frequency cable hooked directly into the old PSU at a +5V terminal, same place as a bunch of other red cables (picture attached). So is it as simple as splicing together one of the red / black unused floppy drive cables to the LED cable?

Yes ! That should work. If it were me I would use a Molex extender/adapter and splice to red/black on it.
That way the LED power connector becomes part of the case wiring so if you have to swap PSU again it is much easier.
Something like this:

Attachments

• Img_1468s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1468s.jpg
    File size
    534.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun