VOGONS

First post, by jtelep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've been fighting an old EPOX P55-TV board with a P133 and 32MB to get a serial mouse working in DOS however I have been unable to. I have tried two different 2x10 serial IDC headers but to no avail. I have checked the BIOS at least a dozen times, I have attempted it on every setting offered including "auto", I have tried COM2 and have even attempted to connect a ps/2 1x6 IDC header to the 1x5 that is on the board but no luck. A few weeks ago I thought I would attempt to try this in Linux just to see if I was crazy as I have built a lot of these systems and never seen this before. Initially I tried it with a MS serial mouse and the same thing happened but then I decided to disconnect the MS mouse and connect an optical serial mouse just for fun and it began working! I switched back to the MS mouse and it stopped working (and yes I have verified the MS mouse works on other systems that do not have this problem). So what exactly does this mean? I then installed Win95 on this host and tried the same thing and regardless of which mouse I used it did not work. If it worked in Linux (and a really old version of Linux at that) but refuses to in either DOS/Win95 then it can't be the board (can it?)

Anyone with any ideas as to what to try I would welcome them as I do not know what else to try.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure, but my guess is that the issue could be related to the IRQs, the serial port FiFo (16450 or 16550 UART) or the BIOS services.

DOS and Windows 3.x/9x traditionally retrieve information by the BIOS and also use IRQs and BIOS calls.

Linux on the other hand likes to ignore BIOS and do everything on its own.
It also includes relying on CPU-based polling methods instead of using hardware features such as FiFos, DMA or IRQs.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//