VOGONS

First post, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone, so my plan for my 98 build is to have 2 x 256mb of PC133 SDRAM, though I am not fully sure yet if my ECS P6BXT-A+ REV 1.3B motherboard even supports PC133, it mostly just shows PC100 in the documentation and all. Also, is it worth going for ECC or not for this build? What is nice is that in the documentation it reads that the MB supports up to 256mb for one DIMM module which is nice, so two sticks in total (512MB). If anyone has any info to share that would be great as this should finish off my build in completion 😀 Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PC133 should just run at 100MHz, you might be able to run it with tighter timings. 256MB modules are supported, but they should be dual-sided. 256MB sticks with chips on one side won't work.

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep as above, PC133 is fine and usually easier to find as well. Price difference is so little no reason not to get it.
ECC on the other hand is totally useless as your motherboard does not support it and even if it does it's slower as it adds a error check to the cycle, not something you really want on a gamming machine.