VOGONS

First post, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

To give a little context, I bought a D-Link DE-650 PCMCIA Ethernet card for my 1996 Toshiba T2130CT running Windows 95 (RTM edition from REMOVED had the same problem on OSR1, 2, 2.5). It comes with the adapter thing that allows it to connect it to an ethernet cable.

I would have used the Xircom one that came with another Toshiba, but it wasn't detected by the system (it's a little funny with certain devices like the Zip Drive that works fine elsewhere, but is fine with my CD-ROM, as an example). To great joy, this PCMCIA card was detected by the system straight away, and it has said that it was installed using Windows 95's default drivers. However, it doesn't work with Internet Explorer when connecting to the internet. On the card's adapter, there's two lights - one for RX/TX and one for Link, respectively. The only one that ever lights up is the RX/TX one, with there being no light on the Link one. I have made sure that the Ethernet cable works by testing it with other laptops and desktops that sit around the house, testing the other slot on the laptop, plugging the card into another laptop running Windows ME (for it not to work there either... no surprises there) and can rule out my Sky Broadband box as well. I have also tried using D-Link drivers taken from a place I can't quite remember the name of.

Anyway, I hope that someone here can help me with my predicament before I start throwing yet more obscenities at a PCMCIA card. I've attached a few photos that may help.

Attachments

• AHHHHH.jpg
    Filename
    AHHHHH.jpg
    File size
    125.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • AHHHHHHH.jpg
    Filename
    AHHHHHHH.jpg
    File size
    95.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • SCREAMING.jpg
    Filename
    SCREAMING.jpg
    File size
    86.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IHATETHISCARDSODAMNMUCH.jpg
    Filename
    IHATETHISCARDSODAMNMUCH.jpg
    File size
    86.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-12-29, 01:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Ryan B. Sent from my nuclear reactor.

Too many computers. But my ICL DRS M75 is rather cool.

Reply 1 of 1, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For troubleshooting:

1) Did you install TCP/IP as a protocol when you set up the ethernet drivers? If not, you'll need to add it in the Network Properties dialog box.

2) If you do have TCP/IP installed, did you enable DHCP (assuming your network supports it) in the TCP/IP properties to automatically get the IP information for your device. Otherwise, you'll have to type that in manually to access the network.

3) If you have all of the IP information (either manual or automatic) input correctly, can you ping a site using the command line. I use the following command to test my network connections:

"ping www.google.com"

4) If the ping returns a series of echoes from the site, than your network is configured correctly. Next you'll need to go into the IE options, "Connection" tab, and configure IE to use the LAN settings (you'll also need to add a proxy server port if you use a proxy server; if not, don't enable the proxy server).

That should get IE working. Good luck.