VOGONS

AGP 8X on a 1X/2X Board?

Topic actions

First post, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone, so I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 AGP 8X 128Mb GPU, now my board is a ECS P6BXT-A+ Rev. 1.3b. On a specs website which I will link below, found something showing 1X and 2X AGP support but nothing beyond that as far as info goes. I did not know if this is even possible and if my GPU clock speeds even matter in this case as well. Also would the Mbs on the GPU count too? Thanks everyone.

Link: https://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/reviews/ … p6bxtap-13b.htm

Attachments

Last edited by Grayshazzle on 2021-01-07, 09:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 20, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AGP 8x is .8V, 4x is 1.5V, 2x is 3.3V. Some cards can operate at 4x and 8x. Cards that should work have 2 notches, but some cards with the 2 notches don't actually work as expected in a slower slot.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 20, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just wondering...on the AGP wiki page there is this bit:

"Some cards incorrectly have dual notches, and some motherboards incorrectly have fully open slots, allowing a card to be plugged into a slot that does not support the correct signaling voltage, which may damage card or motherboard. Some incorrectly designed older 3.3 V cards have the 1.5 V key."

So which cards are those? Which mobos? I don't know any examples of this.

Reply 7 of 20, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I would only run agp cards on motherboards with the same rating. It doesn't make sense to me to run a card that is 8x capable on a board that is only 2x capable.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 4 Ti is still GeForce 4 Ti. Perfectly fitting for a high-end ISA retro platform like 440BX.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 20, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-01-07, 16:26:

Concerning .8V on AGP 3.0/8x: I don't think this was ever avaliable. Afaik all AGP 3.0/8x cards ever avaliable use 1.5V signalling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port says otherwise.

Reply 11 of 20, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-07, 16:59:

Concerning .8V on AGP 3.0/8x: I don't think this was ever avaliable. Afaik all AGP 3.0/8x cards ever avaliable use 1.5V signalling.

So in conclusion on the website, I looked at my graphics card and think that this should be able to run possibly. Regarding .8 volts I am not sure about that but I have a feeling that this might be alright in a 2x slot.

Reply 12 of 20, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr.cat wrote on 2021-01-07, 11:01:

"Some cards incorrectly have dual notches, and some motherboards incorrectly have fully open slots, allowing a card to be plugged into a slot that does not support the correct signaling voltage, which may damage card or motherboard. Some incorrectly designed older 3.3 V cards have the 1.5 V key."

Maybe with AGPpro slot?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13 of 20, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-07, 10:16:

AGP 8x is .8V, 4x is 1.5V, 2x is 3.3V. Some cards can operate at 4x and 8x. Cards that should work have 2 notches, but some cards with the 2 notches don't actually work as expected in a slower slot.

Difference in speed on AGP 8x tot AGP 4x is a little, but from AGP 8X to AGP 2x is huge.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 14 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-07, 16:59:

Yup, I'm wrong. All AGP 8x capable products ever released support 1.5V signalling. I have multiple boards that claim to only support 1.5V cards only despite running them at 8x speeds though.

Reply 15 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr.cat wrote on 2021-01-07, 11:01:

A lot of VIA based Socket 478 bocrds made by Shuttle have Universal AGP slots despite only supporting 1.5V signalling as stated in their manual.
An example of a card keyed for but not capable of 1.5V operation is supposed to be the Hercules Kyro II line of cards. I believe the 1.5V operation pin isn't connected to ground thus locking the card at 3.3V in Universal AGP boards. Still the card can be plugged into 1.5V keyed boards that won't be able to handle 3.3V signalling.
The ATi Rage Fury Maxx is another card that supposedly causes innues when being run at 1.5V even though it's keyed for universal AGP and has the 1.5V pin not connected. This may be pure hearsay though since the individual chips are 1.5V capable on single chip cards.

Reply 16 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but from AGP 8X to AGP 2x is huge.

Eh, that depends. AGP has noticeable impact on geometry calculations, provided you can saturate the bus enough and the video card in question is at least T&L capable. That's not the case for most games and benchmarks though, because your primary bottleneck would be CPU. So far only software ATI TruForm was documented to have such reliance.

An example of a card keyed for but not capable of 1.5V operation is supposed to be the Hercules Kyro II line of cards

Lolno. Kyro II was released in P4 era and it works just fine with P4 mobos on Intel chipsets (which are not capable to work with 3.3v).

Reply 17 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-07, 18:40:

An example of a card keyed for but not capable of 1.5V operation is supposed to be the Hercules Kyro II line of cards

Lolno. Kyro II was released in P4 era and it works just fine with P4 mobos on Intel chipsets (which are not capable to work with 3.3v).

Is this something you have tried yourself with both versions of the card? Because I remember Hercules even had to release a press statement back then that their cards were capable of 1.5V operation after a lot of boards that would refuse to work because the voltage detection pin wasn't connected to ground so the boards would detect the card as not 1.5V compatible. I checked the pin myself on my cards, it is actually not connected to ground.

Reply 18 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, also it's documented on youtube. Also Hercules cards are just reference design cards painted blue, so any card should be affected, but I don't see any evidence of that.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-01-07, 20:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 20, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ya well the OP asked about a specific card a geforce 4. Which is known to work on BX boards by everyone. Not about any other card. The issue isn't if it will work, the issue is more does the board good enough to run a geforce 4 because that card use a lot of power. But since its the slower 4200 with less power draw than a 4600TI than it will work just fine.