VOGONS

First post, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a huge long shot but I thought i would try anyway...

Just got myself this lovely example Packard Bell Imedia.

s-l1600.jpg

Everything is original even the power cords. I've just put a fresh install of windows 98 SE on it as i intend to run older 9x games and maybe DOS games on it but I've run into a issue... I need sound card drivers...

Does anyone have any idea what audio drivers are needed on this model? or better yet all the drivers for this model chipset etc.

s-l1600-1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

darkomen What are the system specs and year? That era PB was manufactured by by NEC Europe.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 12, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pentium 4 1.5Ghz (Willamete), 256 MB SD RAM, ATI Radeon 7000 32MB AGP, 20GB HDD.

I believe it's a 2000 model, maybe 2001? Not confirmed however.

Pretty sure it's a AC 97 type chip of some sort. Trying some random drivers as we speak. I doubt this onboard sound will work well with DOS though? So i might just get a Sound Blaster Live! for it.

Reply 4 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I won a couple of PB bundle in our local online autcion site TradeMe with that style tower in a different color and a later PB Midia with a cracked case but faster P4 in it. Really ugly curved white thing it was . Transferred the newer mobo to the older tower case. Tossed the ugly cracked case. Both came with the original CDs, software and lots of nice peripherals. Cost $nz40 and the sellers delivered to our place from a town about 70kms away. The older couple came over to do some shopping as we have a better selection of stuff in my city. I'll have a look out on the shed when it gets lighter(05:32 here in New Zealand) and see what is there.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-01-08, 22:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's awesome! Thanks for offering i really appreciate it however I've thankfully found a working driver.

Vogons helped me it was the first driver i tried. For anyone it might help in future this was what i used: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1319&menustate=0

IMG-20210108-163438063.jpg

The speakers on the monitor sound fantastic! I'm surprised and I also noticed it installed SB emulation! I'm yet to try anything DOS related but it's nice to know it's there.

IMG-20210108-162736519.jpg

The ATI 7000 in it does a great job too (thanks again Vogons archives for the driver.) I might keep it original and leave the FX 5200 i ordered out of it as this card should be fine for anything 9x. It runs UT99 perfectly, i forgot how good CRT's look... silky smooth!

Really happy, again thanks for the offer. Great community we have here.

Reply 6 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The community is great alright. The best x86 related site I've ever come across.

Reply 7 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's the bundle that came with the 2002 iMedia.

Attachments

• DSC_0000289.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000289.jpg
    File size
    333.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC_0000286.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000286.jpg
    File size
    241.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For future reference, this site has a lot of PB stuff on it:
http://uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/discovery.htm

Audio: SigmaTel technologies SigmaTel STAC9756T audio codec

Best info is the translation from PB internal code names ("Discovery" in this case) to regular brand+model names. That helps getting disparate info together.

Reply 9 of 12, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-01-08, 17:01:

The community is great alright. The best x86 related site I've ever come across.

I fully second this statement. I'm very glad I found VOGONS I've had a blast with this site and with everyone here these past few years

Reply 10 of 12, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have the driver for SigmaTel technologies SigmaTel STAC9756T audio codec ?? I think my current driver is causing issues but im not 100% sure. Would be great to install the correct driver.

Reply 11 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darkomen wrote on 2021-01-11, 21:38:

Does anyone have the driver for SigmaTel technologies SigmaTel STAC9756T audio codec ?? I think my current driver is causing issues but im not 100% sure. Would be great to install the correct driver.

Not 100% sure it will work, but here's the driver from an Intel OEM board with the same i845 chipset and a Sigmatel STAC97xx codec:
https://drv.oemdrivers.com/sound-ac97/5.10.36 … 6.certified.exe

I checked the file and it's a proper driver, not some nasty spyware installer.