VOGONS

First post, by akosela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a very weird sound problem on my Unisys CWD-5001 (Pentium 133Mhz, 32M RAM, VGA Cirrus Logic GD5440). On any sound card I have used I have crackling sounds when using Sound FX; Midi sound works flawlessly though. It is especially audible in Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. I have messed with different IRQ settings (5, 7) and DMA using both non-PnP and PnP sound cards but the problem persists. I am now suspecting that the whole computer was damaged during transport, but everything works good except Sound FX.

Does anybody got CWD-5001 and have some experience with this? What should be my next steps in diagnosing this? Maybe there is some kind of weird hardware conflict somewhere, maybe with VGA Cirrus?

Appreciate any help with this.

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one but never tried an audio card in it, currently has a Adaptec scsi card in the only slot and use it to connect to and Ext. SCSI cdrom.
I would use MSD, NSSI and another system tool and check for resource conflicts, specially port addresses...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun