VOGONS

First post, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heya everyone... been awhile since I've posted here. Hope you've all been well. Still not used to the new forum UI haha.

Anybody got a Satellite 200 or 400 series laptop?

I'm working on removing the RTC and CMOS batteries from my Satellite 225CDS. But I'm stuck trying to remove the long "keyboard brace" above the keyboard. This is what the service manual says about it:

kZxJnuI.png

I've been pressing the tabs back with a spudger, but I can't get any leverage to lift the strip out. It makes it look easy but I'm really struggling! Any advice from those who've done it?

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 2 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got some experience with pulling that particular laptop to bits, I've got the Satellite 230CX which should be the same chassis.

You can be fairly rough with the keyboard clips on these things, but I'm not sure I even read the manual for removing the keyboard. I can remove the keyboard clip fairly easily by pulling up the back of it (by the right speaker), with my fingernails, the side edge of a credit card or a pry tool. At which point it comes off without too much difficulty.

There's a ridge on the inside at the back of the clip. Once that's lifted up part way, it can be used to grab more of the clip.