VOGONS

First post, by epictronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I have a bunch of CRT's to optimize.
Mainly an IBM 21" Trinitron but also some older stuff like IBM 8513/8518, PS/1 SVGA, Aptiva 2124, IBM 5153, commodore 1084 and some other more obscure CRT's.
Can anyone recommend a suite that will run under DOS or windows?
I heard about the 240p test suite but it seems to be for consoles only? Is there something similar or better?

Thanks!

YouTube

Reply 1 of 14, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nec_test.exe should work under Windows to test monitors (for the VGA ones at least), I don't know if there's an alternative for the 5153.

I think there was some dedicated TPG (test pattern generators) that you could hook up to a monitor that you wanted to test, though they are rather difficult to find these days.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 14, by epictronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vynix wrote on 2021-01-11, 15:35:

nec_test.exe should work under Windows to test monitors (for the VGA ones at least), I don't know if there's an alternative for the 5153.

I think there was some dedicated TPG (test pattern generators) that you could hook up to a monitor that you wanted to test, though they are rather difficult to find these days.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find NEC software.

YouTube

Reply 3 of 14, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be relatively easy to find, I think Softpedia hosts a copy.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 5 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: XT video test

Not exactly a suite, though.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 14, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly a suite but may prove useful nonetheless, please find the Nokia test attached. It contains a full set of backgrounds for proper screen calibration.

Attachments

• Filename
    Nokia_Test.zip
    File size
    373.57 KiB
    Downloads
    95 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 14, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going to directly attach nec_test here, by the way I may have found other Windows test patterns, one allegedly made by Eizo not sure about the 3rd one.

Attachments

• Filename
    PixPerAn_english.exe
    File size
    75.5 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File comment
    Might be for LCDs rather than CRTs..?
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    nec_test.exe
    File size
    343.5 KiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File comment
    NEC Test patterns
    File license
  • Filename
    Eizo-test9.exe
    File size
    988 KiB
    Downloads
    106 downloads
    File comment
    Eizo Test patterns
    File license

Reply 10 of 14, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I ever find another kind of test pattern program I'll attach it there if anyone would like to.

Reply 12 of 14, by epictronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found the service manual online for my IBM PS/2 8513 VGA CRT.
It refers to FRU 07F6788. An alignment diskette that was shipped with the manual.
The 8513 was released in 1987, so that alignment diskette is very likely to be for DOS.
Unfortunately I can't find any further info about that floppy.

Attachments

YouTube

Reply 14 of 14, by epictronics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll try it out.
So far the eizo is the best but it does not run well enough in 640x480, 256c.
The Nokia suite does and has good and useful images. I have only tried it in win Me and XP.

YouTube