VOGONS

First post, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I bought a CF-IDE adapter to use on my MICRO-STAR MS-4138 / 486SI5 VESA socket 3 motherboard. I'm using a 1GB card, but the BIOS won't auto-detect it, and on POST it shows "Primary HDC error". If I use a 512 MB HDD it detects just fine, so the controller card is not the problem. Maybe is a mobo limitation? I don't have a smaller card at the moment, but I thought that 1GB wasn't that much. What should I do?

This is the adapter and card I'm using, it connects directly to the ide port:

DlCUWgt.png

Reply 2 of 3, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can hit numerous snags using CF cards. The big likelihood here is that your BIOS has a 512MB drive limit. You can address this with drive overlay software like EZ-DRIVE.

Sometimes though, the card just won't play. I've had cards throw controller errors, but swapping to another brand (the same size) worked fine.

Reply 3 of 3, by Steapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies.

Both Ez-Drive and OnTrack Disk Manager did not work for me, they can't find the cf.
I tried to use it on another motherboard with award bios from 1995 with LBA and it detected normally.

I also tried to insert the parameters that I got from the other mobo, but it also did not work:

C:995
H:32
S:63
L:1990

Disabling LBA mode did not change anything. I also tried three different controller cards to no avail.

I also forget to mention that the first mobo has an Amibios from 1994.
I'm getting a bit hopelessly.