VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a generic WinFast / Foxconn 939 motherboard and it uses I think an Nvidia 630a chipset. This has lots of trouble with a lot of PCI-E graphics cards, both old and new. It also has USB chipset problems. I am looking for a new board, what is a good 939 board from a stability point of view? I don't need SLI/Xfire or 4IDE and SATA headers etc, just a solid board / chipset. Preferably without any integrated graphics.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty happy with my DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D.

Bought it way back in 2005, still serves me well. Lots of overclocking options, if you're interested in that.

Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2021-01-15, 11:37. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When it comes to Nforce 4 - anything that's still alive. Other than that you might might want to try ATI XPRESS 200, combined with ULi south bridge, which is presumably less prone to sudden death. For example MSI RD480 Neo2 or ASUS A8R-MVP.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ULi M1697, the last, greatest ALi/ULi chipset. Either on its own for simple good performance and stability (and a lot less power draw than the nF4) or for maximum retro goodness, paired with an M1695 for AGP + PCIe with good performance on both.

Only reason to go nF4 for me would be SLI, but (for me at least) SLI is a kludge that only makes sense if you want more performance than possible in a single card, and there are more than enough single PCIe cards available now that would totally bottleneck any So939 CPU. But if SLI is your thing, go nF4 (or ATi for Xfire).

Reply 5 of 6, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would steer well clear of any nforce motherboards, especially nforce4. Not only are they prone to dying, they are plagued by random instability issues, both hardware and software related. Stuff like the board suddenly refusing to boot, causing you to spend hours resetting the bios and toggling various bios settings, only for half a day later the board suddenly deciding that the very same bios settings you started out with, should now work okay again. For the next couple weeks at least, after which the same thing happens all over again. And less said about nforceware (drivers for nforce chipsets), the better. The number of blue screens, corrupted XP installations, disabled/conflicting network or sound adapters and similar issues that that garbage piece of software has caused me is beyond count. At this point I would literally take any other chipset over any iteration of nforce.

Reply 6 of 6, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I personally use MSI K8N neo2 Platinum. Although it has agp not pcie. Oh and it has ddr400 😀
It works perfect for both win 2k and XP.

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400