VOGONS

First post, by amalgim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows of a high quality KVM (with audio) switch? I don't have the space (or the funds) to setup a separate Model M keyboard, mouse, and CRT for each of my computers. I would like to use a KVM (with audio) switch, but I have heard that most of them degrade the audio/video quality and add interference. Can anyone recommend a high quality KVM (with audio) that does not degrade signal? I know a backup solution would be to use an Extron RGBHV+audio or VGA+audio switch along with a KVM switch and just use the the KVM switch for keyboard and mouse, but I would prefer not to as it would take up even more space in my already crowded rackmount retro PC setup.

Reply 1 of 1, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually just recently put 2 computers behind a TRENDnet 2-Port PS2 KVM Switch I got off Amazon. Looks like that model is sold out, but the 4 port is still available. I believe they aren't being manufactured anymore?

I don't notice any signal degradation. But my setup, before I revamped everything, wasn't the greatest for that in the first place. The free CRT monitor I got off Craigslist always had a degree of moire effect, usually when it first powers on. And the cheapo speakers I had been using always had a ton of noise. However I since got a very high quality pair of headphones, and I can detect no signal noise through the KVM switch what so ever with them.

Actually one weird side effect is that the mouse sensitivity went way down through the KVM switch. I just turned it back up software side, so it's not insurmountable. But yeah, that was weird. The mouse is just a PS/2 Logitech with a mousewheel. Not optical either.

So, I guess that's one that isn't explicitly garbage, and is good enough for me.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS