VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hey what's up I'm looking for a pci (non express) sata 300 card. Raid would be nice but not critical, bootable is critical. but it has to be able to work with windows 98.

I'm aware that some of you guys can't help yourselves but to point out that pci is 133 and sata 300 is 300.
Not what I asked though, I'm only interested in replies answering my question. please avoid replies that aren't what I am asking for. as I am already aware of your positions and still want what I am looking for.

at the moment the best card it seems I've found for windows 98 is one based on a sil3512 but that's only sata 150 and apparently has compatibility issues with some sata 3 drives (does it even have ncq?). also that via multi card looks pretty cool (the one with usb ide and sata) but I read that a lot of people say it's garbage. also it's only sata 150 so also not an option.

so anyone ever heard of a sata 300 windows 98 card?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

these cards work wonderful, and you can even use >136GB drives easily

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274233648788

(not my auction)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-01-15, 21:33:

these cards work wonderful, and you can even use >136GB drives easily

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274233648788

(not my auction)

on windows 98? do you have the driver? I actually ordered one of those and canceled my order after looking around the internet for a driver and finding people saying there was none

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try a Rosewill RC-212:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-RC-212-SATA … SIAAOSwfF1ef-rV

You will need the Windows 9x driver for the Via 6421 from here: http://toastytech.com/files/w95stuff.html

I have one that I use with Windows NT and 9x. It detects SATA2 drives and will boot from an attached optical drive.

Reply 4 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-01-16, 02:26:
Try a Rosewill RC-212: […]
Show full quote

Try a Rosewill RC-212:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-RC-212-SATA … SIAAOSwfF1ef-rV

You will need the Windows 9x driver for the Via 6421 from here: http://toastytech.com/files/w95stuff.html

I have one that I use with Windows NT and 9x. It detects SATA2 drives and will boot from an attached optical drive.

I've seen several posts about issues with via chip cards blue screens, corrupt data, etc

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been using my RC-212 with my old operating system experiments for a couple of years now. I haven't had any of those issues so far. The tricky part is getting the OS to recognize the card and load the drivers.

This is the only native SATA card I've heard of that will work with NT 3.51, but I have to install the drivers for it after NT setup (I had to modify the .INF file for NT 3.51's format). The text mode of NT 3.51 setup refuses to work with it. The card also works with Alter's UNIATA driver for NT.

For Windows 9x, it has worked quite well for me once I point the driver install in the right direction.

I haven't experienced any data loss, corruption or blue screens on account of the RC-212. But, I'm using it on an experimental system. I'm constantly swapping out SSDs and reinstalling the OS's when I make major configuration changes.

Reply 6 of 9, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will say, I prefer Rloew's AHCI driver for Windows 9x over the Rosewill card. Both work, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how well Rloew's driver works. Fortunately for us, his family made it publicly available in his honor.

Reply 7 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-01-16, 02:46:
I've been using my RC-212 with my old operating system experiments for a couple of years now. I haven't had any of those issues […]
Show full quote

I've been using my RC-212 with my old operating system experiments for a couple of years now. I haven't had any of those issues so far. The tricky part is getting the OS to recognize the card and load the drivers.

This is the only native SATA card I've heard of that will work with NT 3.51, but I have to install the drivers for it after NT setup (I had to modify the .INF file for NT 3.51's format). The text mode of NT 3.51 setup refuses to work with it. The card also works with Alter's UNIATA driver for NT.

For Windows 9x, it has worked quite well for me once I point the driver install in the right direction.

I haven't experienced any data loss, corruption or blue screens on account of the RC-212. But, I'm using it on an experimental system. I'm constantly swapping out SSDs and reinstalling the OS's when I make major configuration changes.

it's sata 150 also.

can you explain the driver? is that a optimized IDE driver for the mainboard?

I ordered (reordered) a promise tx4 300 someone else said in another thread they were able to get it to work on 98 and seemed to think the official drivers worked on 98? idono gonna try it ran out of time motherboard will be here soon

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 9 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-01-16, 16:43:

If you get the card working on Win98 do you have a Win98 compatible 66MHz PCI mainboard to test it with? I'd be curious to know how fast it can be with an SSD.

My pci may be overclocked some but not 66mhz

I will post benchmarks even if not on 98

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-