VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some people have huge collections and we've seen pictures of their rooms full of $300,000 worth of rare sealed boxes... but that means we've seen those already.

Try not to post an item that you've posted about in the past. Something new. Preferably, something useful, cool looking, rare, nostalgic, or with an interesting story or just something you realize you've had sitting around for ages. You never know, you could send someone down memory lane with one picture of a random item you've got.

If it's the same as someone else's item, that's fine, as long as its new for you to post about on Vogons (I can't force you to search your post history of course). Also, replies are fine. You don't have to post a picture every time. 😀

No real point to this thread other than to just talk about the neat stuff we already HAVE (not stuff we just bought or just found... we have threads for those already). I have some obscure old stuff like retail boxes that I've been using to hold parts for 20+ years. No practical purpose other than as a box for me, but nostalgic and neat looking none the less. I'll post stuff like that here from time to time.

I'm going to start off with this. I found a motherboard+CPU combo a few years ago and did a double-take when I saw the model number on the top of the CPU.

"I'm absolutely positive that AMD didn't make a 100Mhz K7..." I thought. Then I realized, that's how they indicated 1000Mhz on the first 1Ghz CPU ever released.

Athlon Slot A 1Ghz "Orion" CPU:

20210116_032839 (1600x1200).jpg
Filename
20210116_032839 (1600x1200).jpg
File size
358.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20210116_033006 (1600x1200).jpg
Filename
20210116_033006 (1600x1200).jpg
File size
378.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

AMD beat Intel to the punch with this one... by two whole days if the history online is accurate. This was a very special time in computing for me. It was the year I built my first from-scratch PC (750Mhz Athlon Slot A... I think it was a "Pluto", but I'm not 100% sure now). Plus, I mean... it was a new millennium and, like... 1000Mhz??? Clock speeds of high end CPUs *doubled* in about 12 months from 1999 to 2000. Crazy times. 😀

And yes, it works. The ASUS motherboard works too, but the keyboard port doesn't seem to function. I just found out recently that there may be a fix for it, so I'm super excited to try that out soon.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 2, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-16, 08:56:

The ASUS motherboard works too, but the keyboard port doesn't seem to function. I just found out recently that there may be a fix for it, so I'm super excited to try that out soon.

Check the keyboard fuse with a voltmeter. Common for those to pop from hotplugging PS/2 devices.