VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or anyone else around here doing bios mods?

Jan Steunebrink Did the website http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 13, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the easiest way to find out would probalbly be to send him an e-mail to the address provided at the very bottom of his website, wouldn't it?

My retro computers

Reply 2 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gex85 wrote on 2021-01-16, 19:39:

Well, the easiest way to find out would probalbly be to send him an e-mail to the address provided at the very bottom of his website, wouldn't it?

I did about two weeks ago 🙁 no response.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did about a year ago and there was a response, but I've dealt with him a few times in the past. I'm sure he is constantly bombarded with e-mails and has to pick and choose. Nice guy.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 13, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you elaborate a bit, what would you need customized?
If it's something minor, with GUI tools it can be quite easy. Just clickety-click here and there and hey presto, you got yourself a custom BIOS.
But ofc it depends heavily on what exactly needs to be altered (and also on the kind of BIOS you have).

Reply 5 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2021-01-16, 23:15:

If it's something minor, with GUI tools it can be quite easy. Just clickety-click here and there and hey presto, you got yourself a custom BIOS.
But ofc it depends heavily on what exactly needs to be altered (and also on the kind of BIOS you have).

Adding code to usb boot, tillamook updates, adding ability to boot to m.2 over pci to pcie adapter. Other neat updates I’m not aware of. Still in research stage. Also being proactive. I should have the board next week.

Also may be getting a dual socket 7 board that I may need to update with the super socket 7 processors information.

Also adding ram settings and other options not currently in the bios. I’m wanting to max out the bios’s capabilities.

I’m not really sure what all is possible, kinda why I wanna talk to someone who knows more. Maybe there are cool things that can be done I don’t know about, maybe other things aren’t possible.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 6 of 13, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool! Yes those things sure don't sound very trivial. Is wimsbios still an option? They *used* to take customizing requests, but I'm out of the loop on what the situation is today.

Reply 7 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-16, 23:26:
Adding code to usb boot, tillamook updates, adding ability to boot to m.2 over pci to pcie adapter. Other neat updates I’m not a […]
Show full quote

Adding code to usb boot, tillamook updates, adding ability to boot to m.2 over pci to pcie adapter. Other neat updates I’m not aware of. Still in research stage. Also being proactive. I should have the board next week.

Also may be getting a dual socket 7 board that I may need to update with the super socket 7 processors information.

Also adding ram settings and other options not currently in the bios. I’m wanting to max out the bios’s capabilities.

I’m not really sure what all is possible, kinda why I wanna talk to someone who knows more. Maybe there are cool things that can be done I don’t know about, maybe other things aren’t possible.

Does Jan mention he has done these particular mods on his website for other boards? If not, you are probably asking for too much from someone who helps out in his spare time without asking for payment.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2021-01-17, 01:49:
Adding code to usb boot, tillamook updates, adding ability to boot to m.2 over pci to pcie adapter. Other neat updates I’m not a […]
Show full quote

Does Jan mention he has done these particular mods on his website for other boards? If not, you are probably asking for too much from someone who helps out in his spare time without asking for payment.

The email I sent him was thanking him for helping me 15 years back and telling him how i was replicating the build and using the bios again we had worked on all those years back.

mr.cat wrote on 2021-01-16, 23:52:

Cool! Yes those things sure don't sound very trivial. Is wimsbios still an option? They *used* to take customizing requests, but I'm out of the loop on what the situation is today.

🤔 I’ll check em out! Thanks!

Tried to go to the website and it told me It was a virus or something 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 9 of 13, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-17, 02:18:
The email I sent him was thanking him for helping me 15 years back and telling him how i was replicating the build and using the […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

The email I sent him was thanking him for helping me 15 years back and telling him how i was replicating the build and using the bios again we had worked on all those years back.

I was afraid of that. It seems more and more of these sites are to be found in archive.org, if at all..
I did find an interesting tidbit about the history of the 32GB patch where Jan is mentioned (auf deutsch):
https://web.archive.org/web/20110930111821/ht … ll.de/bios.html

Reply 10 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2021-01-17, 07:01:
I was afraid of that. It seems more and more of these sites are to be found in archive.org, if at all.. I did find an interestin […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-17, 02:18:
The email I sent him was thanking him for helping me 15 years back and telling him how i was replicating the build and using the […]
Show full quote

I was afraid of that. It seems more and more of these sites are to be found in archive.org, if at all..
I did find an interesting tidbit about the history of the 32GB patch where Jan is mentioned (auf deutsch):
https://web.archive.org/web/20110930111821/ht … ll.de/bios.html

Oh nice find!

I’m gonna look into some of the websites mentioned . Looks like they , like jan have been helping people patch their bioses

I followed all the links that I saw but found no new contact info and many sites on the rainbow page are gone or lead to security warnings. But many are still live with patched bioses still available.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 11 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since these bioses are supposedly modular, I wonder if there isn't a way to fully replace some modules with some fresh code.
Now imagine that with the scale of UH19 with now over a thousand boards with their appropriate bios and automated tools ... We could at last remove each HDD capacity limitations of every bios from the 90's ! (Up to 128GB at least)

Now I don't have the knowledge to do that but I think uh19 could help understanding how these old bioses work better and hopefully help patching them.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 13, by Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Sphere478: There is a developed BIOS modding community at win-raid.com, you might find all you need there.

You have mentioned adding RAM settings. If that fails, there is another way to configure RAM - by modifying the SPD on the modules you want to install. I used the software called Thaiphoon Burner for that and made memory run at proper clocks and timings on a motherboard without any RAM controls in the BIOS.

Hope this helps!

Reply 13 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2021-01-17, 10:54:

Since these bioses are supposedly modular, I wonder if there isn't a way to fully replace some modules with some fresh code.
Now imagine that with the scale of UH19 with now over a thousand boards with their appropriate bios and automated tools ... We could at last remove each HDD capacity limitations of every bios from the 90's ! (Up to 128GB at least)

Now I don't have the knowledge to do that but I think uh19 could help understanding how these old bioses work better and hopefully help patching them.

Yeah that’s a little above my head also. 🙁
Clicking the links under that german site I think I found more details about how the bios’s were patched for the hard drive issue. But I didn’t pay much attention to it cause my bios already has that patch. Or maybe it was on that german sote it’s self. Click around there. There is a lot of info about that issue there

Wanderer wrote on 2021-01-17, 11:12:

@Sphere478: There is a developed BIOS modding community at win-raid.com, you might find all you need there.

You have mentioned adding RAM settings. If that fails, there is another way to configure RAM - by modifying the SPD on the modules you want to install. I used the software called Thaiphoon Burner for that and made memory run at proper clocks and timings on a motherboard without any RAM controls in the BIOS.

Hope this helps!

Oh! Good idea! I wonder though how much the bios will follow the spd though.. 😒

I’ll check em out!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-