VOGONS

First post, by lazycrypt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, my first time posting here.

I'm building a 486 based computer and I'm still waiting on some parts to arrive before it will become operational however I went ahead to set up all the jumper settings on the motherboard (SIS 496/7G Rev.102, manual available here).

I got most of everything down, set it up for the 256kB L2 cache, all the interrupts, as well as made sure the CPU voltage is set to 3.3V. I'm a bit unsure about the jumpers that determine the CPU type though. I have an Intel DX4-100 with write-back (&EW etched on the CPU). The manual mentions two jumper settings for setting write-back or write-through but it only does so for Intel P24D, P24T and enhanced AMD CPUs. Schematics for those CPUs have either one of the jumpers closed as well. The schematic for the 486DX4 on the other hand has neither of the WB jumpers closed which makes me assume those schematics are for the regular 486 DX4 processors with just the &E marking?

Here is a schematic of the motherboard with the jumpers closed marked.

Cn4sDVr.jpg

And here are the relevant pages from the manual with the CPU jumper settings.

XByDLwx.jpg
pOhx6JT.jpg
syjxLR8.jpg

As can be seen from the first image I've set the jumpers for the Intel 486 DX4 but like I said, I'm a bit unsure on jumpers JP17 and JP37 that determine WT/WB modes so help would be appreciated.

Edit: Added an extra CPU jumper settings page from the manual.

Last edited by lazycrypt on 2021-01-18, 10:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would set it the same as an AMD with WB. It won't damage your CPU if it's wrong. They are the same on the Asus PVI-486SP3

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 2, by lazycrypt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the worst that can happen is no POSTing and angry beeps I'll try experimenting with JP17 once I get the rest of the parts.

I've also edited the original post with an extra page from the manual I missed just in case anyone would find it useful.