First post, by MadITgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so as the title says

I have a IBM thinkpad 770 P233MMX
1USB port
and no gameport.
and under DOS. I would like to get to be able to use my Sidewinder 3d pro I owned since I was a kid or a Logitech extreme 3d pro USB joystick for all the retro flight sims on DOS
I used to have a ThinkPad 760ED and that had a special gameport adapter (dongle cable) and that worked great but that laptop is no more. and there does not seem to be a equivalent for the Thinkpad 770
I've heard of PCMCIA to gameport adapters but I can't find one on ebay.
and I know DOS isn't too friendly to USB-anything
Any help will be appreciated

Reply 1 of 4, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no gameport on the 770 outside of the dock, so you could get a dock if you really wanted to.

Yes, those PCMCIA gameport cards exist, and yes they are near impossible to find.

One option is to run Windows 98 and use a USB gameport adapter, but that's fake, and not DOS.

Your options are limited.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 4, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

seleceta dock II or III maybe is as hard to get as a pcmcia midi. a pcmcia also requires cardbus service, + driver.

I started out my journey for the perfect retro laptop with a 770x I found in a box at a donation type place. It's a great little machine, i pretty much search for those pcmcia midi game ports every day, as well as sound cards they are super rare.

Reply 3 of 4, by MadITgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, it sounds like you're having same issues as me.
And yes, I knew about the selectadock those are very nice but again, hard to find and the last time I saw a selectadock III it was very expensive 🙁
The thinkpad is also running win98SE and I do use my USB joystick for windows games but was trying to fill in the DOS side of things.
-Thanks for your help!

Reply 4 of 4, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MadITgeek wrote on 2021-01-19, 02:50:

I've heard of PCMCIA to gameport adapters but I can't find one on ebay.

Look on Yahoo auctions for the PCJOY, the version 2 card works fine in DOS with the driver for the first version of the card.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics