VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In a old anandtech article it says that gigabyte says the pci ddr1 variant of the iram drive only supports 4gb of ram (non ecc/reg) but it also says the controller supports up to 8.

So, if it is limited it’s not from the controller.

Has anyone ever actually tried it? Despite gigabyte saying it won’t work? Cause we all know that sometimes mfg’s say things won’t work and they do and vice versa 🤣.

I was gonna order up some 2gb ddr 1 sticks if I could find any kind of confirmation on this.

But for the moment am holding off because of lack of evidence.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 Gb DDR sticks are buffered only. Only specific chipsets can understand such memory, but inclusion of ECC most likely does not matter and is ignored anyway. Why bother though? You can install Windows XP even on 4 Gb drive and it's more than enough for glorified pagefile.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-19, 05:14:

2 Gb DDR sticks are buffered only. Only specific chipsets can understand such memory, but inclusion of ECC most likely does not matter and is ignored anyway. Why bother though? You can install Windows XP even on 4 Gb drive and it's more than enough for glorified pagefile.

Old ddr isn’t too pricy these days. If it would work, why not have twice the memory :p

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's not pricy, why holding back? You can repurpose it later for Socket 939, even if it's not working.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-19, 07:58:

If it's not pricy, why holding back? You can repurpose it later for Socket 939, even if it's not working.

Well, I don’t have anything else that would use it. And I can’t find any references that it would work so it seems I would be throwing money away. So that’s why. If I could find someone around here with one that has some 2g sticks laying around who could try it first or someone who knows that it would work then I would buy it. Just all the evidence so far says it won’t work so I’m just holding back till there is a gleam of hope 🤣.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-