VOGONS

Maxing out the ram capacity on my motherboard

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 67, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok, I've checked and you do not have the same boards, so maybe they're just wired differently.
Anyway, from the datasheets, I gather that the 430TX should, at least from the signal lines in the datasheet, be able to address 6 x 128M of memory, unless I've overlooked something blatantly obvious, if all the signal lines are hooked up. I'm no expert in this.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 61 of 67, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-02-10, 19:42:

ok, I've checked and you do not have the same boards, so maybe they're just wired differently.
Anyway, from the datasheets, I gather that the 430TX should, at least from the signal lines in the datasheet, be able to address 6 x 128M of memory, unless I've overlooked something blatantly obvious, if all the signal lines are hooked up. I'm no expert in this.

Well, my 430hx tyan board has 6x128mb simms in it and it works at 768mb but this tx board won’t do anything but 256mb with 4x128 simms in it 🙁 I could maybe try combos with 64mb simms but I don’t have any.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 62 of 67, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I think I have the same board and a few others. computers are complicated sometimes, much information.

Just going by the signal lines, I would say the maximum size for an Sdram dimm is 8GigaBytes. Though without any hardware to create it, or to address it... what's the .

Do not ask Why !

Reply 63 of 67, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I talked to Jan about the memory issue he seems convinced that the chipset can only address 256. Repoman11 may just be getting it detected but not actually usable and it may be not reporting errors in mem test because it's looping back to a good pattern it made earlier and not detecting it as a error it would be interesting to make a ram disk and see if the 384 could be filled with unique data and see if it returns non corrupt.

it may indeed be that repoman11's apparent partial success was actually just a glitch appearing to be a partial success and is related to the reason windows won't load for him.

which makes me want to try more experiments with my hx chipset when I finally manage to get windows on it 🤣 It may be that of the 768 only 512 is actually usable but I will have to test to verify.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 64 of 67, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-16, 01:06:

I talked to Jan about the memory issue he seems convinced that the chipset can only address 256. Repoman11 may just be getting it detected but not actually usable and it may be not reporting errors in mem test because it's looping back to a good pattern it made earlier and not detecting it as a error it would be interesting to make a ram disk and see if the 384 could be filled with unique data and see if it returns non corrupt.

it may indeed be that repoman11's apparent partial success was actually just a glitch appearing to be a partial success and is related to the reason windows won't load for him.

which makes me want to try more experiments with my hx chipset when I finally manage to get windows on it 🤣 It may be that of the 768 only 512 is actually usable but I will have to test to verify.

I'd agree with that since the datasheet for the chipset also mentions 256MB max. Though it wouldn't be the first time that the datasheet isn't quite true. 😀
Good luck with the hx experiment.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 65 of 67, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Can’t get windows installed no matter what I try

Well well well, a little bit of history repeating. Haha

I kept suspecting it but when I tested for it my conclusions never pointed to it conclusively until now.

Should I even bother trying simm stackers or 32 chip simms? In a attempt to get 768mb?

It seems the problem isn’t the amount of memory though it may be that also, but rather it doesn’t like my 128mb simms or some settings I’m using.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 66 of 67, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(A series of edits)

Okay, so scratch all that.. it may have actually been related to skipping slots 1, 2

I have 512mb in it now 4x 128 in banks 1-4 and it boots just fine.. 🤔

In fact it seems to be working fine with 768mb now in slots 1-6 but the last time I tried that it gave me 600 something mb

Weird. I have updated the bios since then...

It seems unstable again. I’m gonna see if I can make it far enough to run mem test in windows. I’m curious if I can fill up the ram before it crashes..

Having issues transfering memtest to the computer 🤣 oh well, I give up on that.

I can’t decide if I should try some registered memory or give up? Maybe it would work if it was regestered?

Edit: okay. So the issue I’ve been having getting operating systems on this conputer seems to be two prong, or at least this is the current theory.

The motherboard first time I tried this ram only liked 768mb in slots 3-8 but now it likes it in slots 1-6 but turns out neither are stable. Now I’m not sure if that is because of the chipset not being able to be stable with 768 or if that is because it needs buffered ram to run that many modules.🤷‍♂️ But I’m guessing the bios update helped cause before it didn’t like the first two slots.

Oh well. 512mb seems fine for now and the registered idea will cost me a lot of money to try... maybe I will try it but I suspect it won’t work. No chance any of you guys have a pile of 128mb registered simms laying around and a tyan tomcat s1564?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 67 of 67, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m going to just go ahead and make a concluding remark for this thread, while the 430tx and 430hx chipsets say you can only do 256 and 512 respectively you can get 1.5x that to detect on some boards but it appears that is nothing more than a glitch and it is not stable. We tried so you don’t have to 🤣 430tx max is indeed 256mb and 430hx max is indeed 512mb. There are some variations we didn’t try but I’m gonna say that they will probably also not work. Personally I’m putting this one to rest.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-