VOGONS

Wavetable socket on the motherboard

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-01-21, 16:34:

Does MIDI sound different on the MPU device of the machine that doesn't have the chip? It could be that Windows uses the chip but the Windows DOS box does use the game port. If there's pure DOS tools for these chips, maybe with those you can set where port 330 is routed?
I believe that in general both the wave table and the game port are accessed over port 330, and you can just mute the wave table input volume if you don't want to hear it.

Well damn, selecting the crystal-device on the non-chipped machine produces no sound (just sends to external devices probably), but the machine with the chip in it plays the files nicely. So I guess it's the DOS configuration or lack of DOS-tool then?

Edit:
I figured it out. Port 368. I found another cwb...ini file in the \Windows directory which had mpu401 set to 368. Tried it in several games and it's working very nicely. No game wes able to autodetect, but i suppose I could just change the port to something more reasonable. I wonder why it's set to such a strange address.