VOGONS

First post, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I`m planning to build a P4 based rig and have a couple of simple options:

1. Asrock P4i65GV Socket 478 + some P4 Northwood.
2. MSI g33m LGA775 + some late P4 Prescott.

First option will give me nice Win98 support and more retro feel, but second is more flexible option with wide range of CPU support up to Q9550 and modern graphic cards, also with good performance in late XP games.

What do you think? Should I go with 1 or 2?

Last edited by Nick4 on 2021-01-21, 10:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can install Windows 98 SE on second motherboard too. Even with LAN support, due to inclusion of Marvell Yukon 88E8056.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-01-21, 10:00. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 13, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-21, 09:53:

You can install Windows 98 SE on second motherboard too.

But I didn`t find official win98 drivers for this chipset and not sure about that PCIe GPUs has win98 drivers also.

Reply 3 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But I didn`t find official win98 drivers for this chipset

ICH7-10 (south bridges) are unofficially supported. Thanks to Win9x community.

not sure about that PCIe GPUs has win98 drivers also.

GeForce PCX 5700/5900, GeForce 6200-6800, Radeon X800. Also PCI video cards.

Reply 4 of 13, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the main question is whether you want to upgrade to multicore CPUs or not. It's just me, but if and when I want to build a P4 PC, I only consider the socke478 platform. If I want to build an XP PC, I strongly lean towards the socket775. AMD is an interesting option and they were more than competitive until the Core2 released, but it's harder to build a period correct XP PC with overkill performance and low power consumption.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 13, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For 478, there is also this option:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130831231248/ht … 4-m-exploration

Dunno if that works with this particular board though...anyone tried that?

Reply 6 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which is useless. They work only with minimal multiplier and nothing stop you to undervolt desktop CPU, if provided motherboard is capable.

Reply 7 of 13, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-01-21, 13:49:

I think the main question is whether you want to upgrade to multicore CPUs or not. It's just me, but if and when I want to build a P4 PC, I only consider the socke478 platform. If I want to build an XP PC, I strongly lean towards the socket775. AMD is an interesting option and they were more than competitive until the Core2 released, but it's harder to build a period correct XP PC with overkill performance and low power consumption.

Agree. LGA775 can become a nice XP overkill rig. But 478 is interesting retro-platform, but a dead-end. That`s the question I can`t decide))

Reply 9 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are looking at FX cards then IMO you don't need faster than northwood to play games made at or around 2002 or 2003. I haven't heard of anyone having much success with PCIE video cards in windows 98. I wouldn't install windows 98 on a machine that doesn't have AGP.

From my own experience, the 865 intel chipset with the ICH 5 southbridge works really well in windows 98.

Reply 10 of 13, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-21, 15:39:

Which is useless. They work only with minimal multiplier and nothing stop you to undervolt desktop CPU, if provided motherboard is capable.

Yeah pretty much...it's more like a curiosity HTPC variation. Also the mobo mentioned in the comments section isn't exactly the same model the OP mentioned (one letter difference P4i65G vs. P4i65GV - V is for hyperthreading?)
Besides in the wintertime, we need all the heat the P4s can produce 😁

Reply 11 of 13, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Radeon x800 XL (PCIe) working quite well with Windows 98 (both FE and SE). I even played through Call of Duty in 1080p without crashing it. Much more stable than my GeForce 6800 GS with NVidia's rather buggy drivers.

IMO, if you're set on a P4, go with whatever you want or feel comfortable with. There's not that much difference between the best 478 and 775 CPUs (differences for sure, but really not huge ones with mid-XP-era apps). You will have many more CPU options with 775, though.

Reply 12 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It'll depend on what PC's you already have. From my own collection

I do all my 9x gaming from my P3 600, anything this struggles with is modern enough to run in XP.
My s478 9x/XP PC never gets used.
My s775 XP build is fine for all my XP gaming, by the time this struggles I can play on my modern rig.

So if you already have a Strong 98 build I'd go for the s775 or if you have a strong XP build I'd go for s478
Yes you can make a unofficial S775 Win98 build that'll limit your graphics card choices creating a bottleneck for later XP games, and I agree s478 and more so that AGP slot gives it a more retro feel.

Reply 13 of 13, by Nick4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-01-22, 11:13:
It'll depend on what PC's you already have. From my own collection […]
Show full quote

It'll depend on what PC's you already have. From my own collection

I do all my 9x gaming from my P3 600, anything this struggles with is modern enough to run in XP.
My s478 9x/XP PC never gets used.
My s775 XP build is fine for all my XP gaming, by the time this struggles I can play on my modern rig.

So if you already have a Strong 98 build I'd go for the s775 or if you have a strong XP build I'd go for s478
Yes you can make a unofficial S775 Win98 build that'll limit your graphics card choices creating a bottleneck for later XP games, and I agree s478 and more so that AGP slot gives it a more retro feel.

I already have a P1 98 build, so early win98 games are covered.
So I think lga775 wil be better option for me, I think I`ll go with it.