VOGONS

First post, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the old office computer from my mom. It's a 386DX-25. I paired it with a SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 and a ET4000AX and planned to use it as a gaming rig for early DOS gaming to around ~1993. I already tried Wing Commander II and StarTrek 25th Anniversary and well... they don't play that nice. Cutscenes are a slideshow and WC2 is sluggish during gameplay. I did a benchmark test with CheckIt 3 and got 3854 Dhrystones. The motherboard doesn't seem to have cache.
So I wondered: Does it even make sense to use this as a gaming rig? Or is my Pentium 233 that I use for late DOS gaming sufficient? What do you think?

Games on my list for the 386:

Civilization Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars Commander Keen: The Earth Explodes Commander Keen: Keen Must Die! Commander Keen: […]
Show full quote

Civilization
Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars
Commander Keen: The Earth Explodes
Commander Keen: Keen Must Die!
Commander Keen: Secret of the Oracle
Commander Keen: The Armageddon Machine
Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter
Commander Keen: Keen Dreams
D/Generation
Dune
Dune II
Loom
Maniac Mansion
Police Quest
Police Quest II
Pool of Radiance
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia 2
Sim City
Simon the Sorcerer I
Simon the Sorcerer II
Star Control II
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
Star Trek: Judgment Rides
Starfire
Starflight
Wasteland
Wolfenstein 3D
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Space Quest II
Space Quest III
Space Quest IV
Wing Commander
Wing Commander II

Reply 1 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's pretty slow - my recently purchased 'slow' 286-16 board gets nigh-on 4000 dhrystones.

Is the turbo mode disabled? A full DX 386 should be absolutely fine for early to mid era Dos games.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It probably can be faster.
Once upon a time I had a 386DX-25 with no cache, and - when set to 0 wait states - it scored 5139 Dhrystones.
But it still may be too slow for some 1993 stuff - it was already the era of 486 with VLB.

If I was building a machine for such games, I would probably go for some late 486, or even Socket 7.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 10, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turbo is enabled. I took a closer look into the BIOS. Wait states were at one, setting them to 0 improved the benchmark score to 4804. I also enable BIOS and VGA shadowing, not sure if that improves performance. There's also alot of other wait state options... I set them all to the lowest possible setting, but it did not improve the benchmark score. I ran WC2 again... it's better but not really good. If I look at this table I wonder if I should invest in a 40 Mhz board with cache or just use my 233 for these games...

Reply 5 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you already have a Socket 7 box, then what's the point of that 386 ?
Are any games from your list running too fast?
If so, then perhaps try to disable caches, try SETMUL, or something?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you got a 20% performance boost by optimising some BIOS settings? Regardless of your decision to keep on with the DX-25, that's pretty fantastic outcome anyway.

A DX-40 with cache is pretty much guaranteed to be significantly faster than your current DX-25. That said, other than the 3D shooters on the list, I would think that your system would be more than capable of handling those games.

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gordon-creAtive.com wrote on 2021-01-21, 18:35:

So I wondered: Does it even make sense to use this as a gaming rig? Or is my Pentium 233 that I use for late DOS gaming sufficient? What do you think?

Majority of those games aren't speed sensitive which the P233 can cover the ones that are want something bit faster then a DX25, eg Wing Commander wants a DX33
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

For gaming that's the only practical reason for anything lower than a Pentium class dos machine.

If your interested in hardware in general a 386 with its limitations can be fun, the games are more secondary consideration.

and if the PC has any sentimental value then you will always find a way to make it useful just to relive the past, vast 486's and below here are built for nostalgia over any practical use.

Reply 8 of 10, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-01-22, 09:56:
Majority of those games aren't speed sensitive which the P233 can cover the ones that are want something bit faster then a DX25, […]
Show full quote
gordon-creAtive.com wrote on 2021-01-21, 18:35:

Majority of those games aren't speed sensitive which the P233 can cover the ones that are want something bit faster then a DX25, eg Wing Commander wants a DX33
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

For gaming that's the only practical reason for anything lower than a Pentium class dos machine.

very true, and when there are problems DOSBOX is more often than not the best solution - and that will run on lots of modern platforms

at some point a suitable VM and/or emulation will also provide options for a typical circa 2000-2010 PC with 3d card and so on so that we can load up win xp on whatever smart phone, sbc or whatever is in use a few years from now

but meanwhile, for the OP, enjoy what does work on that PC

Reply 9 of 10, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your insight!
I guess nostalgia and authenticity were the main reason I took my mom's old PC. But I think the vast majority of games on my list doesn't really fit to this computer so my expectations where clearly off. Intel's 386DX series was released in '85, yet most of the games I listed are from around '90 - '93. I guess I was a little bit thrown of by the fact that the labels on and in the computer hinted at '92. I suppose it was bought around then and obviously my mom bought it for work, not for gaming.
If I really want to have the authentic experience for these games I guess I have to get an AM386DX-40 or an early 486.

Reply 10 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gordon-creAtive.com wrote on 2021-01-22, 16:24:

Thank you for your insight!
I guess nostalgia and authenticity were the main reason I took my mom's old PC. But I think the vast majority of games on my list doesn't really fit to this computer so my expectations where clearly off. Intel's 386DX series was released in '85, yet most of the games I listed are from around '90 - '93. I guess I was a little bit thrown of by the fact that the labels on and in the computer hinted at '92. I suppose it was bought around then and obviously my mom bought it for work, not for gaming.
If I really want to have the authentic experience for these games I guess I have to get an AM386DX-40 or an early 486.

Don't take hardware release dates too seriously. I bought my first PC, a 286, in 1991. PC hardware was seriously long lived in the late 80s and early 90s.

It's like assuming anyone gaming now is using a 3080Ti because they came out last year. Most hardware has a ramp up time and then a long tail where it's used even a generation or two out of date.

Sounds like the PC has a special meaning for you, too.