VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

double check me on this, ground plane pin is here. is it inserted correctly?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the correct orientation indeed

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-01-22, 20:56:

This is the correct orientation indeed

Thanks! Just wanted to be sure!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-22, 20:55:

double check me on this, ground plane pin is here. is it inserted correctly?

Easy shortcut for ISA side determination: All ground and power contacts are on the side that faces away from the AT power connector on a standard mainboard (called the B side on the 8-bit connector and the D side on the 16-bit extension). GND is on the first (B1) and last (B31) pin (and on B10, which is the one you point out with the screwdriver). +5V is on the third (B3) and third-to-last pin (B29). On many cards you find electrolytic capacitors near B1/B3 and B29/B31. This is a easily recognizable pattern. Another hint is that power traces are often wider than signal traces, and as all power traces connect to B pins (B3, B5, B7, B9, B29 are the non-ground power pins), having thick traces go to every other pin near one end of the connector is also a clear indication of the B side.

But: You don't need all that stuff. I have yet to see an ISA card where you can't just apply the simple rule that components are always on the A side, so if you orient the components on the same side as a regular card, you are good to go.

On the other hand, I did already see "ISA" cards (extra-cheap clones of the cheap port 80 card you (and a lot of other VOGONers, like me) have) that are a very loose fit and easily misadjusted by half a pin and can short the +12V line to where it destroys the mainboard. If a card does not slide firmly into the right position in the slot, better discard it (or use it on PCI only). There are already two threads on VOGONs about these abonimations, one as a warning and one as post-mortem analysis.

Reply 4 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2021-01-22, 21:49:

But: You don't need all that stuff. I have yet to see an ISA card where you can't just apply the simple rule that components are always on the A side, so if you orient the components on the same side as a regular card, you are good to go.

On the other hand, I did already see "ISA" cards (extra-cheap clones of the cheap port 80 card you (and a lot of other VOGONers, like me) have) that are a very loose fit and easily misadjusted by half a pin and can short the +12V line to where it destroys the mainboard. If a card does not slide firmly into the right position in the slot, better discard it (or use it on PCI only). There are already two threads on VOGONs about these abonimations, one as a warning and one as post-mortem analysis.

Yes Agree ! his appears to be OK with the extra PCB width on both ends of first and last slot connection, where the bad ones have almost no extra blank PCB on either end.

Attachments

• Good_card.jpg
    Filename
    Good_card.jpg
    File size
    62.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • BAD_card.jpg
    Filename
    BAD_card.jpg
    File size
    54.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun