VOGONS

First post, by h00d13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.
Does anyone know what might be the problems on a Deskpro XL 575 Power supply(PS2010)?
I have tried to fix it but nothing looks wrong.
The 3 leds do not light up when it is connected to outlet.
When I try to turn it on when it's not connected the fan moves for a milisecond and the multimeter says that it outputs power but slowly decreases to 0 volts.
I've also tried turning it on without the fan connected, still the same.
It has a weird pinout, I'll come back tomorrow with some pictures.
Cheers.

Reply 1 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have same problem with XL series PSU as well, still pending diagnosis.

Looked good but still not comes up. I had PSU in pieces right now to make trouble shooting easier.

I'll let you know in the Compaq PSu thread I created.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3.3V dc to dc converter (aka VRM) is internal to the PSU and if the processor card is not using 3.3V, will not light. Usually needed when using Pentium processor cards.

Reply 5 of 8, by h00d13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:
I've brought it to an electrician and he changed a few capacitors that were actually broken and now when I turn it on it seems to be in the same loop but the lights on the motherboard and PSU also turn on for a second.
It reacts the same as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJxdE6gApCs at 20:00 .
The problem is that it requires a chassis fan to be connected and I don't have it. Does anyone have a pinout of the fan?
Thank you.

Reply 6 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the 590XL version which works perfectly.

I can check that but it'll take a while. I have to take it out of storage.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The LEDs are not directly connected to other parts of the PSU components, that's unique for sure. The LEDs is wired directly out to the motherboard's extra pins in turn directly connected to the motherboard's power plane next to power pins on the connectors.

Think of this way as crude multi-meter in a power supply "measuring" direct at the motherboard's.

PS: this blink is exactly what mine does too except at the PSU's LEDs.

Cheers,

Reply 8 of 8, by h00d13

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the electrician told me that current should pass thru the motherboard in order for the PSU leds to work. He also told me that I could wire the cables to an old PSU and it would work, but I'm trying to keep the original one.
Thank you for help.