VOGONS

First post, by standal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
in this old laptop is an 16MHz 80386 cpu, but runs only at 8MHz. I can switch the CPU to run at 16MHz only over reference disk, if I start there a test routine of all hardware. After that, the CPU runs at 16MHz till new power on. On the laptop is a switch (auto - max), but it does nothing. But the switch is working, which I found out over the test routine. Does anybody know where can be the problem? Should be a special DOS version installed, or some drivers for the switch?
Thanks
standal

Reply 1 of 3, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its very likely the internal battery that holds settings is dead.

that would be the first place I look.

And I'm not talking about the big battery pack, this one will be internal to the chassis, and is LIKELY to look like a couple shrink wrapped coin cells. (maybe one)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 3, by standal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are three bateries. The main battery which works for half a minute, the cmos battery which I replaced and works. And a 3 cell NiCd battery which is dead and therefore disconnected. But this battery is to hold charge and system running if you want to change the main battery and the whole time is under voltage from main source. Therefore I do not think that this battery is needed to work properly.

Reply 3 of 3, by standal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So some news about my problem.
I met really great people, who helped me very much. Definitely many thanks to those people, because they teach me also many things.
Now is possible to switch the frequency over debug, without restart of machine. It is not the final solution, I plan to make some sort of driver, but I have to learn many things first.
But it will be still great to have it working as it was working in the past, so if still someone owns this machine and is the speed switch by him fully working, than please send a message.
Here the debug solution.
Switch to 16MHz:
oF073 DA
ow1072 9000
oF073 00
Switch to 8MHz:
oF073 DA
ow1072 1000
oF073 00
I made also some batch files, so if wanted there it is:
https://webshare.cz/#/file/CANezY1Lxd
standal