VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Decent chance my pc133 memory can take the tightest timings I can set since it’s running at pc75. I’m a little rusty, can you more experienced guys/gals help me with the fastest timings?

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience almost all of those are as simple as the lower the better, though sometimes they can be counter intuitive. After installing Windows and installing benchmark programs, I'll generally begin to tighten the timings and see if it improves the score while remaining stable. For example, sometimes even underclocked memory can't tolerate CAS 2, so you have to prepared to change them as needed. And if you make a bunch of changes at once and your system becomes unstable, you can't be sure which change caused it, so best to be patient and change one thing at a time.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my KT7A, I used to curse Windows 98 for being so unstable. When I got a hold of Windows XP, the install would freeze up, and I finally tried setting the memory timing to defaults - only then would XP install successfully. My cheapo Tiger Direct generic PC133 was not stable with the tighter timings (even with increased voltage) and it seems that Windows XP had a way to check that during the installation, where Windows 98 did not. So I was blaming the operating system for something that I had actually caused myself.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 3, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-23, 05:43:

On my KT7A, I used to curse Windows 98 for being so unstable. When I got a hold of Windows XP, the install would freeze up, and I finally tried setting the memory timing to defaults - only then would XP install successfully. My cheapo Tiger Direct generic PC133 was not stable with the tighter timings (even with increased voltage) and it seems that Windows XP had a way to check that during the installation, where Windows 98 did not. So I was blaming the operating system for something that I had actually caused myself.

good plan. gonna have to circle around back to this can't even get windows on it yet 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)